Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Project 2020
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So the round of the Topps Project 2020 issue released the print runs for the latest Griffey and Nolan Ryan.  And woo hoo...did those cards take it to a new level.
The Griffey was over 99,000 and the Ryan just over 64,000.

The next highest were the latest Trouts at 33,000 and 34,000.   
The cat is certainly out of the bag now.  The Griffey tripled the Trouts.  Should be interesting to see the secondary market demand with such a spike in print run.  And the sellers undercutting the Topps single card sales by $2.99 each.  

Not sure I see the value as a seller selling at $17 a card with free shipping which costs minimum $2.89.  Seller fee and transaction fee.  Walk away with maybe $2 per card sold profit?  

Not enough meat for me...   but that's the hobby now.   Resellers selling to just about break even.   No doubt sometime in the near future when the money in cards begins to dry up...there are going to be massive liquidations of collections and inventory being dumped by get rich quick guys that are getting over their head in this market.   Happens all the time.  And now there are a ton of people watching these Youtube "investors" and trying to follow.

Ouch
Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I have absolutely zero interest in these cards.

I mean, aren't they basically reprints with, like, graffiti or photo shopped stuff on them?

I just don't get it.

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
Yeah I don't get it either. I was interested at first since they were doing cards for Trout plus my favorite Yankees in Mattingly, Jeter and Mo. But I thought the cards were so ugly and nobody would be interested in these cards so I didn't bother buying any.
rjcj2017 Wrote:Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I have absolutely zero interest in these cards.

I mean, aren't they basically reprints with, like, graffiti or photo shopped stuff on them?

I just don't get it.

The beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.
+1
Do we really need MORE sets from Topps??  People on this site complain all the time there are too many products out there, and yet go after brand new ones.

Let's get back to the basics with some variety of choices in retail and hobby.
Stay the course guys... we made it through the rise and falls of the 90s, the early 2000s when it felt like no one collected, most of us were in the game before anyone knew the name trout. I owned his update when it was 75 cents and let every single one go when i thought $25-$50 was a lot. We have all the new/ old money back in the game.

I guess enjoy the ride while we can and make a few bucks extra... but stay the course if you want to be on the other side when all the new money jumps ship again.

PROJECT 2020 is soooooooo well.... (i.e., Topps Living Set 2.0)
Yeah, I’ve seen pics on eBay and the most recent Beckett mag featured them. Not my cuppa, but I guess they’re not marketing to me. Seems this is a way to bring new blood into the fold.
The only one I've seen so far that I wanted, and didn't pull the trigger on early enough, was the Mike Trout Ben Baller version.

Not my thing, either, but the sales on them is pretty insane.
jaredhuizenga Wrote:The only one I've seen so far that I wanted, and didn't pull the trigger on early enough, was the Mike Trout Ben Baller version.

Not my thing, either, but the sales on them is pretty insane.
Indeed, someone must like them!
rjcj2017 Wrote:Indeed, someone must like them!
The re-sellers on Twitter, the biggest cesspool on the internet, claim that it's not only card collectors investing, but fine art collectors, too.

I find that a little hard to believe, but someone's buying them thinking they're the next big thing. Sort of like Living Set was early on.

I think the large print runs will hurt the value of upcoming ones, but help the ones with lower runs. I think one of the Griffeys sold just shy of 100k buys the other day.
Cat's definitely out of the bag on these art cards. I have bought about 10 so far and probably won't get anymore. I grabbed the Ben Baller Trout and the Andrew Theile Trout. I also got about 6 still coming to me but another I feel lucky to get was the Efdot Nolan Ryan. Long term don't think prices will remain this high but I look at as a collector and since it was only 20 dollars per card and possibly 34 for 2 I am good with it.
Pages: 1 2