Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: NASCAR needs to bring back North Wilkesboro Speedway!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
That iRacing event today is just more proof that NASCAR needs to bring it back to the schedule. Dump a super-speedway duplicate race (like Michigan, Daytona or Talladega) or a duplicate West Coast race to instead run a race at North Wilkesboro again. The series needs a 0.625-mile track with an uphill front-stretch and a downhill back-stretch. That track is a bit different than the 1/2-mile Bristol and M'ville tracks, as well as Dover and the other 1-mile tracks. The actual NASCAR vets in today's field vs. the iRacing vets (aka NASCAR Young Guns) put on a pretty good show. I WAS surprised that there were only 29 drivers in the race (instead of 35+). But at the same time, I understand several drivers not wanting to attempt a track they've never raced on before while also trying to get prepped for the REAL race at Darlington next weekend. I noticed that Byron, Bubba and JJ were not in the field this week. Jeff Gordon and Bobby Labonte were the only drivers today that actually ran a Cup Series race there before it was closed in 1996 or 1997.
I watched a cool video of the track (as it sits now) about a year ago. Search YouTube for Abandoned Race Tracks and you'll find it. The track wouldn't take much to be back to NASCAR specs for a race there though. If the Cup Series ever comes back to North Wilkesboro (or Rockingham - aka North Carolina Speedway), I'll try my hardest to be there for those races! I have been to Rockingham, but it was for Lollapalooza 1996, not a race. Still a great day in my life though!
North Wilkesboro definitely needs to be back on the schedule. I went to several races there in the early 90's. Rockingham ws great as well, but my favorite track that I've been to is North Wilkesboro.