Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: My card's subrades avg was 9.375 but it got a 9
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,
First time posting in here. One of the cards I just received back from BGS had subgrades as follows:
C: 10
E: 9.5
C 9.5
S: 8.5

The subs averaged out to 9.375, but the card received a 9. Seems like the rounding should have gone up to a 9.5 instead of a 9.

Anyone else agree or have experience with this?
The 9 final grade is due the 8.5 subgrade. A card's final grade cannot be more than 0.5 higher than its lowest subgrade.
(05-05-2020, 10:20 PM)clrolli1 Wrote: [ -> ]The 9 final grade is due the 8.5 subgrade. A card's final grade cannot be more than 0.5 higher than its lowest subgrade.
Thank you. I did see that, but I also saw that it wasn't .5. That is was 1.0. Just wanted to see if anybody had any experience with it...

"A card's final BGS grade can be 1.0 higher than the lowest subgrade if: (1) the drastically lower subgrade is either the edges or surface; and (2) the aggregate of the other three subgrades compared to the surface subgrade must be greater than 4."
Sometimes centering too!

Final - 5.5
Corners - 8.0
Centering - 4.0
Edges - 9.0
Surface - 8.5

Had a similar experience. Got a 9.5/9.5/9.5/7.0. Final was an 8 even though the average is above 8.5.
clrolli1 Wrote:The 9 final grade is due the 8.5 subgrade. A card's final grade cannot be more than 0.5 higher than its lowest subgrade.
Not true. you can have 3 10's and a 8.5 and it will grade a 9.5
jeffturabaz Wrote:Not true. you can have 3 10's and a 8.5 and it will grade a 9.5
I think the only time you can jump a whole grade upĀ is if the lowest sub grade is for surface?
Does anyone know what the final grade would be for a card with the following subgrades?: Surface 9.5, Edges 9, Centering 9, Corners 8.5
Should be a 9.

I believe that the lowest sub grade of a card is counted twice so it would be

Grade = ((2x8.5) + 9 + 9 + 9.5)/5

Grade = 8.9 or 9 I would think.

**EDIT**

Actually determining the final grade is actually a little more complicated then that. Here is an article that should be able to explain it better then I could:

https://www.beckett.com/news/walking-bgs-process/