Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Crazy PRICES!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
So while on isolation, I was planning on killing the time by picking up some cards for the PC. That is not going to happen, card prices are insane!!! Has anyone else noticed this? I was going to pick up few Freeman cards and Albies cards, but not even close to prices I feel comfortable with. If anyone has any at a reasonable price please let me know.
Agreed 100 percent.

About two summers ago I purged 98 percent of my collection.

Included in that purge were several hundred Prizm basketball cards from the debut set in 2012-13.

(I kept the Kawhi Leonard RC thankfully.)

The LeBron James base card - base card - from that set is now booking at like $225.

For a base card. I probably had three or four of them and purged them all.

I also made the mistake of looking up some of my Target/Walmart red/blue border Mike Trout cards that were in said purge.

Mind you, these are not from his rookie year, they're like checklists and base cards from 2014 or whatever, and people are listing them for $50+ on up.

Now I read on the Beckett news page that the 1997-98 Jordan Metal Universe base cards are booking at $400.

I mean, give me a break.

It's bad enough the retail sharks are gobbling up literally every decent product around here, now the singles are on crack as well?
Yeah, I really think we are in another hobby "bubble" so to speak. For some reason, investors have been going crazy in "our" space. Time will tell... I have a few Albies if you'd like to take a look, especially if you are buying! Stay safe out there and thanks as always for serving our great country!
All thanks to Gary Vaynerchuk. Once you get big time entrepreneurs and investors putting their money in sports cards instead of stocks, most normal collectors are getting priced out. I've been half tempted to sell off all my "good stuff" because of this. The sharks and flippers are making a killing as these prices sky rocket.
I think that in conjunction with the stay at home orders, and even the stimulus checks, plus the MJ documentary have created a perfect storm where people want to buy, driving prices up.

Look at what MJ regular issue cards are going for (finest, chrome, etc.). The 86-87 Fleer RC is out of control. My friend has a 7.5 and I told him to sell it and buy one back once it all settles down.

I had a 2012 Lebron Prizm in my Lebron commons, and have picked up a few 2012 Prizm Trouts and a Brady recently. Picked up a handful of Jeters as well as they seem to be following suit.
I was sorting Jordan and have roughly 800 of them. Didn't even know I had that many. Most are base and lower end inserts from 1988-89 all the way through 1998-99. No clue how to list them or what to ask.

But I was just checking out Jordans, Lebrons, etc., and I'm amazed at what hoops prices are selling.
Social Media as well as Youtube has captivated many non collectors and has lassoed them into walking the plank of sportscards. Driving prices up of many of the top end players in top end products. As those products dry up to those with the means the tide rises for all other mid and low level products.
2020 Topps and Donruss is in no means in short supply, but look to pick up a Lux or Bichette and they are pushing $8-$10 in certain cases. How about just walking down to Walmart and picking up a box or 2 for $20 and get 2 or all 3 of the big names plus the inserts. You know things are upside down when you can actually consistently earn your money back after a break on a single box time after time.

I say ride the wave, load up and dump and repeat until the wave crashes.

With Phil Hughes, Houdini, PSACollector, Jabs, and a rash of others posting videos daily of product openings and mailday purchases I think they are putting and causing a dent in many of the mid to high end products and definitely causing many with too much money in their pocket to start ripping packs looking for auto's and superfractors as copycats.
I definitely noticed this. Nearly everything is going for way more than it should be. It doesn't even really make sense because right now there is no baseball, no basketball, and no hockey.

Like...wth?
Go sell your 2012 Trout stuff!!!!! This is crazy. Wish I was in the states!!!
It's not just the cards either. Ultra Pro pages are selling for ridiculously high prices now too. Even WalMart has jacked up their prices. D&A has been out of them for a while (but still have some BCW pages). Prices for a new 9-card 100-page box are listed for $25-35 now all over the internet. I've been buying them from D&A for about a decade at $18. Even the Walmart 60-page pack is over $20 now. I REALLY need some pages but I'm not paying all these crazy prices. I'll just wait out ALL of this insanity and eventually the prices will get back to normal for all sports cards and card-related products. I'm not in any big hurry to acquire stuff. I have plenty of cards to still deal with already.
Pages: 1 2 3 4