Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Do retail only sets exist in basketball?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Like for baseball, Topps Fire is the retail only product for Target and Topps Gallery is the one for Walmart. Are there such sets that Panini does for NBA?
Yep! Status just came out, it's exclusive to WalMart and Target.

Not only that, but there are rookie cards and subsets exclusive to each one!

(Same rookies, but different photos I believe).

You also get a mem or auto card per blaster, it's a pretty sweet product.

I bought one from Target and pulled a "Rookie Prominence" insert of Luka in the first pack ... there are 40 in the set so it's actually a pretty tough pull (only two on eBay last time I looked).

I pulled a LeBron Lakers base card for my PC and my auto was Troy Brown of the Wizards (decent prospect, 19 years old), so I was pretty happy overall.

If I had the cash I would bust a lot more but was happy with my one and done.

Highly recommended, fun rip!

(04-17-2019, 10:22 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep! Status just came out, it's exclusive to WalMart and Target.

Not only that, but there are rookie cards and subsets exclusive to each one!

(Same rookies, but different photos I believe).

Thanks for the info. You mean that there are different photos depending on if you bought at Walmart or Target? Interesting.
(04-17-2019, 02:48 PM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the info. You mean that there are different photos depending on if you bought at Walmart or Target? Interesting.
They're actually considered different cards ...

https://www.cardboardconnection.com/2018...-nba-cards

Base Set 1 rookies are at WalMart, Base Set 2 rookies are at Target ... they are all in the same order with the same players but the WalMart cards are numbered 101-150 and the Target cards are numbered 151-200.

They have different photos.

So technically, if you wanted a "complete set" of Status, you would have 2 different versions of each RC, with different numbers.

Also, there are insert sets exclusive to each location.

So the insert I pulled of Luka out of the Target blaster is not available in the WalMart blasters.
Oh dang. That is even cooler than I thought. I'm assuming that Beckett is only going to consider one of the issues to be the "true" rookie, though.
(04-17-2019, 07:02 PM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]Oh dang. That is even cooler than I thought. I'm assuming that Beckett is only going to consider one of the issues to be the "true" rookie, though.
They will probably consider both to be RCs, especially given the format that each store has a RC set.

Meaning, there would be no reason to say that the WalMart card is the RC and the Target card isn't, or vice versa.

They may even do an "A" and "B" thing or soemthing.

Might be a good question for the Beckett mods or price guide folks?
(04-18-2019, 10:00 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]Meaning, there would be no reason to say that the WalMart card is the RC and the Target card isn't, or vice versa.
Well, I wouldn't think so, but Beckett has weird ideas about what is and is not a RC.

According to what they have listed right now, only the first card numerically is the "RC".

https://www.beckett.com/search/?term=201...start=2018

Doncic is card #122 and #172 in the set, but they only have the RC designation by #122.

Maybe they'll change it in the future, though.
(04-18-2019, 12:24 PM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I wouldn't think so, but Beckett has weird ideas about what is and is not a RC.

According to what they have listed right now, only the first card numerically is the "RC".

https://www.beckett.com/search/?term=201...start=2018

Doncic is card #122 and #172 in the set, but they only have the RC designation by #122.

Maybe they'll change it in the future, though.
Wow.

So the DeAndre Ayton base card I pulled out of my Target blaster is not a rookie card.

But if I would have pulled the same card (just different number and picture) out of a WalMart blaster it would be his RC.

Hmm.

So, when I pulled a Shohei Ohtani base RC - with the RC logo and everything - out of 2018 Topps Series 2, and then pulled another Ohtani base RC - with the logo and everything - out of 2018 Topps Update, that was not a problem to list them both as rookie cards?

"Well, RJ, those are different sets."

They're actually the same set - "Topps flagship" - just broken up into three releases, but OK.

And go ahead and slap that RC logo on every insert and subset while you're at it.

But you literally can't pull Status basketball rookie cards from the Target boxes, according to Beckett.

Again, I reiterate ... wow.
I know. Ridiculous.

I got a Kostas Antetokounmpo out of a Target Status pack a couple of days ago and in my database I'm still considering it a rookie, so Beckett can go suck it as far as I'm concerned. :-p
(04-18-2019, 05:42 PM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]I know. Ridiculous.

I got a Kostas Antetokounmpo out of a Target Status pack a couple of days ago and in my database I'm still considering it a rookie, so Beckett can go suck it as far as I'm concerned. :-p
Yes, exactly.

Like, we get on the card companies all the time about doing the same old stuff over and over again ... but when you get a product like this that has a unique distribution strategy and a fun collecting wrinkle to it, Beckett dumps on it by saying half the rookie cards aren't rookie cards.

I'm with you, I'm putting that Ayton card directly in a Rookie Card toploader!
Pages: 1 2