Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: The lunar eclipse from January
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There was a total lunar eclipse on the night of January 20th/21st. I meant to tell you guys about it before it happened. I spent several hours photographing it that night, even though it was brutally cold. I think the wind chill was in the low teens by the time the eclipse ended. I couldn't get any good pictures during totality b/c of the very low light level. I got plenty from pre-eclipse, pre-totality and post-totality. I picked my 6 most-favorite pics to share with you guys. All were taken with a Nikon Coolpix L320 on a tripod. This is not a professional setup at all, but I'm very happy with the results.

Before the eclipse began:

[Image: 47163030291_0e3954c3da_z.jpg]

Just after it started:

[Image: 47163036561_26c32983ee_z.jpg]

Halfway to totality:

[Image: 40198255693_dc3edfb583_z.jpg]

Nearing totality #1:

[Image: 47111038062_8cf3e8b1d6_z.jpg]

Nearing totality #2 (closer shot):

[Image: 33287959598_82c8df1a5b_z.jpg]

After totality:

[Image: 47163085181_2df8f317cf_z.jpg]

I hope you guys enjoyed my photos of the eclipse. The next one of this caliber visible from the eastern US is a couple of years away. That would be May of 2021 but it won't be as good as this one was. It was worth battling the cold for the photos, especially since the last one several years ago was completely clouded out here. I haven't seen a total lunar eclipse since 2008 and my camera now is over 4x better than that one was, just in megapixel count. Thanks for looking!

EDIT: to mention that these photos are not processed in ANY way. They are exactly what I captured with my camera!
Awesome pictures thanks for sharing.
(02-22-2019, 08:56 PM)kevinr Wrote: [ -> ]Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.
Thank YOU for commenting! I'm very happy with what I got with my camera. The photos are very close to what I could see without it, but the details on the Moon are much better. I actually kept 16 of my photos (from about 30 total). I deleted anything that was blurred, overexposed, or completely out-of-focus. Some pics got deleted as soon as I took them and they don't count in the "about 30" figure. I probably took over 50 shots of the moon that night. But the later it got, the harder it was to get stable photos (my hands were frozen and muscles were shivering)!
That is awesome!!!
I saved one of your pics to use as a screen saver. Nice stuff
Thanks Jason and Tom. Once I got the first shot dialed-in, I knew I'd get some great pics. The full moon is SO hard to get any detail with just a camera. The sharp contrast b/t the extremely bright moon and pitch-black sky wreaks havoc on the sensors (as you can see in the 3rd picture). I STILL can't decide which is my favorite b/t #'s 1, 4 and 5. BTW, the white specs in #4 & 5 are stars.
(02-23-2019, 04:56 PM)dunnere Wrote: [ -> ]I saved one of your pics to use as a screen saver. Nice stuff
Which one?
(02-23-2019, 10:12 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks Jason and Tom. Once I got the first shot dialed-in, I knew I'd get some great pics. The full moon is SO hard to get any detail with just a camera. The sharp contrast b/t the extremely bright moon and pitch-black sky wreaks havoc on the sensors (as you can see in the 3rd picture). I STILL can't decide which is my favorite b/t #'s 1, 4 and 5. BTW, the white specs in #4 & 5 are stars.

Which one?
Nearing totality #1:
(02-24-2019, 08:07 AM)dunnere Wrote: [ -> ]Nearing totality #1:
Good choice. That's also the wallpaper on my laptop right now. I picked it so my icons wouldn't cover part of the moon.
(02-27-2019, 12:23 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: [ -> ]Good choice. That's also the wallpaper on my laptop right now. I picked it so my icons wouldn't cover part of the moon.
I use it on my phone. It trimmed up very nicely...the moon is underrated. LOL
(02-27-2019, 06:45 PM)dunnere Wrote: [ -> ]I use it on my phone. It trimmed up very nicely...the moon is underrated. LOL
I'm glad you like it on your phone. The pic on my phone is my Panthers helmet Fathead that's on my wall. Has been since I got the phone a few years ago.

Yes, the moon is completely underrated. Smile With binoculars or a telescope, it is fascinating to look at. And it's almost always easy to see in the sky.
I can't believe we aren't mining it for resources either. I know there is tons of titanium on the moon, as well as a bunch of basaltic and volcanic rock.