Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Basketball, worst value of all sports cards...period
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I admit, i jumped in on the Doncic hype hoping to turn a quick buck.....I have gotten somewhat lucky as I have landed two Doncic cards outside of base.....but easily could have had none.

These cards outside of his have zero value! I basically broke even at best on resale of what i have bought and by god for what I spent that is horrible! If I didnt hit the two Doncic cards I would have nothing!!!!!

What are you people doing? Everything I hear is centered around how costly basketball collecting is.....jesus...where is the return?

horrible and out and wont buy a basketball card for the rest of my life....sorry for the rant, even though there are three posts in this whole board so maybe I shouldnt be surprised?

Disagree completely. My two most valuable cards are basketball. (Bill Russell rookie and Michael Jordan rookie).

LeBron cards are worth an insane amount and so are a lot of Kobe's cards. Even Jordan's non-numbered 90s inserts are worth quite a bit.

The value is there, you just are looking in the wrong area it seems.
Chester2002, you are the worst kind of collector - an investor. Investor's are the scourge of the hobby. You aren't collecting for the enjoyment of the hobby - you're only in it for the money. You're greedy, selfish and arrogant. If that is your approach to the hobby, then don't collect. Go play on the stock markets instead.
(02-17-2019, 03:00 PM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree completely. My two most valuable cards are basketball. (Bill Russell rookie and Michael Jordan rookie).

LeBron cards are worth an insane amount and so are a lot of Kobe's cards. Even Jordan's non-numbered 90s inserts are worth quite a bit.

The value is there, you just are looking in the wrong area it seems.
He's not wrong though. And I love basketball and collecting basketball, but it's feast or famine in a lot of ways. Panini's higher end products, while gorgeous, are overpriced. You might get lucky if you buy a box or a case, but you're more likely to wind up with a huge loss. Even as a big fan of Panini's Cornerstones line, I still wouldn't pay $140 for a box, and I was still hesitant to pay $80 when the price came down for last season's set.

Top rookies aside, there are maybe 15 to 20 or so players -current and retired- whose cards are in high demand and holding their value, but Panini puts so many non-essential players in their expensive product that you could buy several cases before finding the 'hit' that you're looking for.

I get where you're coming from though. The value of LeBron and Jordan can match up with any player for any other sport.
(02-17-2019, 05:04 PM)taffster74 Wrote: [ -> ]Chester2002, you are the worst kind of collector - an investor. Investor's are the scourge of the hobby. You aren't collecting for the enjoyment of the hobby - you're only in it for the money. You're greedy, selfish and arrogant. If that is your approach to the hobby, then don't collect. Go play on the stock markets instead.
I agree with this, but forgot to mention it before.

(02-17-2019, 05:18 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: [ -> ]He's not wrong though. And I love basketball and collecting basketball, but it's feast or famine in a lot of ways. Panini's higher end products, while gorgeous, are overpriced. You might get lucky if you buy a box or a case, but you're more likely to wind up with a huge loss. Even as a big fan of Panini's Cornerstones line, I still wouldn't pay $140 for a box, and I was still hesitant to pay $80 when the price came down for last season's set.

Top rookies aside, there are maybe 15 to 20 or so players -current and retired- whose cards are in high demand and holding their value, but Panini puts so many non-essential players in their expensive product that you could buy several cases before finding the 'hit' that you're looking for.

I get where you're coming from though. The value of LeBron and Jordan can match up with any player for any other sport.
I don't necessarily disagree with this. A lot of newer stuff is overpriced. With that in mind if you only collect what you like, then you won't be disappointed even if the cards you get never hold any future value.
(02-17-2019, 06:27 PM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]I don't necessarily disagree with this. A lot of newer stuff is overpriced. With that in mind if you only collect what you like, then you won't be disappointed even if the cards you get never hold any future value.
Two ideas here:

On the one hand, I've really enjoyed buying just the cards that I want. Last year I got into the National Treasures cards. A lot of them look great. Specifically I think the Hometown Heroes Autograph cards and the Dual and Triple Materials cards are terrific. I think I bought about 16 or 17 cards in total of just Warriors players. That's almost 2 boxes worth, and I only spent a fraction of what it would have cost to buy two boxes and get a random assortment of cards.

On the other hand, there's nothing like buying a box and cracking it open and seeing what you get. Even if your intent isn't to sell or invest, you still want to feel like you got your money's worth, and the general sense I've gotten (and granted, reading people's thoughts online is a small sample size) is that people don't feel they get their money's worth from most of Panini's higher end products. Sentiment from baseball collectors towards Topps higher end products doesn't appear to me as negative. Some of that might just be the type of people who collect baseball versus the type of people who collect basketball. As someone who collects both sports, it's interesting to me to compare the two.
Buying boxes and thinking you're going to be able to immediately resell the contents for profit can be done but one has to be smart about it. However it can very easily be a costly endeavor for those thinking it's going to be easy money. You cannot just pick up one random box and expect that the cost of the box is going to be less than the resale value of the cards inside. I find it amusing when people insist that this should be the case.
Investors are a very important part of the hobby. However there are a lot of "investors" who think it's easy and then get upset when they buy a few boxes and don't make their money back. That seems like the case here.
Smart investors will spend some time doing research, and most will come to the realization that buying key cards, holding them for a period of time and reselling them is the best investment strategy. However it's definitely not the only viable strategy.
Simple ... don't collect basketball if you don't like it.

It's my favorite by far, not even close as far as the other three sports.
https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/19...ld-350100/
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba...story.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseidem...4837a326e4

Basketball cards are so worthless that Forbes and the Chicago Tribune did stories about one that sold recently.

(Most expensive card ever sold on eBay, btw.)
I'll add more to this .....
With Baseball, even if you pull a card of one of the top picks, there's no guarantee they will ever even play in the majors because of the minor league system and the way teams draft. Plus, with 32 teams, the prize pool is weakened - mainly because there are too many small market teams.

With Football, more and more these days it is the second rounders (and later) who are outshining the first rounders. Very rarely now will you get a first rounder who's values are worth a break.

With Ice Hockey .... the NHL is still feeling the after effects of that horrendous 18 month lockout that cost the league 2 entire seasons. The lockout produced what you now see in Ice hockey - two companies (Upper Deck, ITG), doing a limited number of small-time releases. There is no value at all in ice hockey. That and the fact that is now the only professional team sport where violence and thuggery are still acceptable hurt the overall value of the sport.

Basketball? Very rarely are first rounders relegated to the G-League (NBA minors). Very rarely do second-rounders or free agents outshine the entire first-round of picks. The established and rising stars are evenly distributed around the league.

And basketball has no value? Yeah, right.

As to the hobby and resale value .... it's exactly the same as with every other sport - it's a jack-lotto. Meaning, sometimes you hit big, sometimes you don't.
Pages: 1 2