Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Never Been So Excited About a Base Card Pull Before!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Friends,

I am a longtime LeBron fan and collector.

I have pulled some big time LBJ cards along the way ... SP Authentic auto RC/500, Kaboom insert (crazy BV), Prestige base 1/1, etc.

However, over the summer, for a variety of reasons I purged about 95 percent of my collection, and have cut down my pack/box busting by about 98 percent.

Suffice it to say, as a primarily retail collector, I have been frustrated not only with the lack of LeBron cards in a Lakers uniform specifically, but also my lack of ability to buy in bulk and pull what I want in general.

2018-19 Contenders finally hit the retail shelves this past week - the one and only retail product with LeBron in a Lakers uni - and Saturday I dipped in to my local Target to buy exactly one jumbo pack for $4.99.

For those not familiar with the configuration, Contenders jumbos have 22 cards.

So about three cards in I pulled a Laker, but it was Lonzo Ball.

I figured the odds were against me as far as pulling another guy from the same team in a 22-card pack.

However, the card in the exact middle of the pack also had a purple color scheme ... could it be?

Yesssssss!!!

LeBron James!!!

Normally base cards don't usually get the "one touch magnet" treatment, but this one sure did.

I don't think I've ever been so happy with a base card before.
NICE
(01-14-2019, 05:14 PM)floydtown Wrote: [ -> ]NICE
That's what I said!
Congrats! You finally got one. lol.

Good to know that Contenders is on the retail shelves. Maybe I'll ride my bike into Marin this week and head to Target. I'm trying to lean towards retail in 2019 too. At least for the sets where that's an option.
(01-15-2019, 12:52 AM)cjgiannini Wrote: [ -> ]Congrats! You finally got one. lol.

Good to know that Contenders is on the retail shelves. Maybe I'll ride my bike into Marin this week and head to Target. I'm trying to lean towards retail in 2019 too. At least for the sets where that's an option.
I would have never guessed when LeBron signed with the Lakers that it would take half the season, retail-wise, for him to have a card in his new uniform.
(01-15-2019, 10:36 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]I would have never guessed when LeBron signed with the Lakers that it would take half the season, retail-wise, for him to have a card in his new uniform.
That is weird.

What I''M wondering, as a Warriors fan, is if we'll ever get a DeMarcus Cousins Warriors card with him in a Warriors uniform. Since he hasn't suited up yet (he will this weekend) and most sets I imagine are already into production. And he won't be a Warrior next season. That's 99.9% going to happen. I guess with the super late releases it's possible. But it's also possible that his first cards with him in a Warriors uniform are next season's early releases when he's already playing for another team!
(01-15-2019, 07:07 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: [ -> ]That is weird.

What I''M wondering, as a Warriors fan, is if we'll ever get a DeMarcus Cousins Warriors card with him in a Warriors uniform. Since he hasn't suited up yet (he will this weekend) and most sets I imagine are already into production. And he won't be a Warrior next season. That's 99.9% going to happen. I guess with the super late releases it's possible. But it's also possible that his first cards with him in a Warriors uniform are next season's early releases when he's already playing for another team!
He is actually in Contenders in a Warriors uniform!

Looks like this ...

https://ebay.to/2FBIvCB

They got updated unis for Kawhi Leonard, DeMar DeRozan, Vince Carter, DeAndre Jordan, guys like that as well.

If this were back in the day I would be all over this product ... plus, one auto or mem per blaster, pretty good deal.

Last year I did pretty good on those ... dual mems of Ball/Tatum, Mitchell/Bradley (Jazz) and single mems of Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith and Markelle Fultz.
(01-16-2019, 11:12 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]He is actually in Contenders in a Warriors uniform!

Looks like this ...

https://ebay.to/2FBIvCB

They got updated unis for Kawhi Leonard, DeMar DeRozan, Vince Carter, DeAndre Jordan, guys like that as well.

If this were back in the day I would be all over this product ... plus, one auto or mem per blaster, pretty good deal.

Last year I did pretty good on those ... dual mems of Ball/Tatum, Mitchell/Bradley (Jazz) and single mems of Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith and Markelle Fultz.
Ahh, the old photo shoot pose. They did that for Durant too, his first year.

Last year I got Tatum and Ball memorabilia cards in blasters. One hit per blaster is a good deal. If it weren't for this rain I'd be out looking for blasters right now.
(01-16-2019, 02:04 PM)cjgiannini Wrote: [ -> ]Ahh, the old photo shoot pose. They did that for Durant too, his first year.

Last year I got Tatum and Ball memorabilia cards in blasters. One hit per blaster is a good deal. If it weren't for this rain I'd be out looking for blasters right now.
I've always liked Contenders, retail wise ... I always feel like I get "something," even if it's just base cards of guys in their new uniforms.

If you happen to pull any dupes of DeMarcus, Kawhi or Vince Carter, I would love to trade for them.

Thanks man!
Nice stuff