Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Am I the only one tired of seeing a QB as the MVP every year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think it's time to change it up, even though this year it looks like a lock for Mahomes. Not to say he doesn't deserve it, the guy is putting up video game numbers! But I think maybe we need to re-evaluate what other players can do. Goff is mentioned, or was, as a MVP candidate. But why? Because of Gurley. So maybe Gurley should get a look. One could argue for the Cowboys offensive line as a unit, or Elliot as the bell cow. Donald and Mack for wrecking games. Even Watt, who while he hasn't played super great on the field, has more than made up for it off the field. We all know it'll be a Quarterback, but who would you like to see as the MVP based off any criteria?
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but here is my take on it...

If a coach has a team that performs at its highest potential, he/she usually wins Coach of the Year.
If a quarterback is considered a leader and the team performs well, then that QB should qualify for MVP.

There may well be better players on that team, just like that coach may have outstanding assistant coaches. But it always falls on the 'leader', good or bad. Remember when Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning were fighting it out? Hard to decide who had a better year, but not difficult to understand who the leader was.
True. I guess this year with Mahomes as top dog (assuming so) I don't see him much as a leader as a player. Not like Brees, Rivers, Rodgers, or Brady. So I feel like this year it's more about the player. In past years it was leader vs leader, Brady or Rodgers or Brees usually. I don't know, I think I'm rambling lol. I'd just like to see someone else recognized.
This is my take on the matter:

Do something similiar to the MLB's Golden Gloves, which awards MVPs to the best player at each position in each Conference. Now, this will definitely be controversial, so keep the current MVP award, but add in the Gloven Glove-'esque type of MVP as well.
(12-16-2018, 09:48 PM)DCM7734 Wrote: [ -> ]This is my take on the matter:

Do something similiar to the MLB's Golden Gloves, which awards MVPs to the best player at each position in each Conference. Now, this will definitely be controversial, so keep the current MVP award, but add in the Gloven Glove-'esque type of MVP as well.
This could work.
Alshon Jeffery should have been on the Sunday Night trailer instead of Nick Foles. Of the 270 yards he passed for, Jeffery absorbed 160 of them!
This year the MVP has to be Mahomes. He passes the eye test. He replaced Alex Smith and surpassed expectations. He has the stats and the wins to make his case.

The NFL made the league all about the QB position so its impossible to value any other position as much as the QB. Its made the game easier for QBs in every possible way as well. I often wonder if Marino played today if he would average 5,000 yards a season lol.

If a RB could rush for 100 yards every game and average 1 TD per game on an average team and lead them to the playoffs he should get some consideration but even then the odds are stacked against him.
(12-17-2018, 05:14 PM)jplarson Wrote: [ -> ]Alshon Jeffery should have been on the Sunday Night trailer instead of Nick Foles. Of the 270 yards he passed for, Jeffery absorbed 160 of them!
Haha, agreed!
(12-17-2018, 06:43 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: [ -> ]This year the MVP has to be Mahomes. He passes the eye test. He replaced Alex Smith and surpassed expectations. He has the stats and the wins to make his case.

The NFL made the league all about the QB position so its impossible to value any other position as much as the QB. Its made the game easier for QBs in every possible way as well. I often wonder if Marino played today if he would average 5,000 yards a season lol.

If a RB could rush for 100 yards every game and average 1 TD per game on an average team and lead them to the playoffs he should get some consideration but even then the odds are stacked against him.
I guess that's what frustrates me. They've made one position be the end all be all. We need more balance. Its fun watching video game numbers like Mahomes is putting up, but I love watching old school running backs and defenders. It would be fun to see running backs rumbling down the field again, and defenders picking off the ball more often. Big hits too, not this two hand touch stuff. I was born in the wrong time period lol.

Gold Gloves are for defense, by position. They have nothing to do with offense or MVP numbers.

(Other than that one weird year where Rafael Palmeiro won for first base in 1999 despite playing just 28 games there)

Although, I do see your point - a better comparison would be hockey, where they give out awards for best goalie, best defenseman, best defensive forward, etc.

I like that idea but I think that 1st Team All-Pro selections are a good way to capture individual position greatness.
Pages: 1 2