Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 2018 Prizm football hobby ,
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to the show yesterday looking for steals and deals and noticed two things .
1. Prizm first run was out with smaller boxes ,less hits and a bigger price.
2. Probably 100-150 collectors in the gym and didn't see anyone under 18 .

Are these two thing related? I think so . I'm most likely not going to buy those 4 hobby boxes of Prizm this year. Less value and higher price. Set making to expensive now. Buying nice vintage inserts and singles better option. Panini is killing the set builder.
(11-04-2018, 09:05 AM)sparty78 Wrote: [ -> ]Panini is killing the set builder.
They've basically positioned Donruss Optic as what Prizm used to be as the comparison to Topps Chrome. I believe that the current iteration of Prizm is getting elevated to be the comparison to Topps Finest.

It's funny how some of the most interesting sets they release are the results of acquisitions/industry consolidation. Score and Donruss are the flagship entry level brands for younger collectors/set builders. Absolute contains all the fun hits that Playoff pioneered. Contenders fills the role as the definitive rookie auto brand also founded by Playoff. Panini Preferred is a rebrand of Donruss Preferred. Ditto Panini Elite and Donruss Elite. Panini Select was Score Select. Classics is original but clearly their answer to Upper Deck Retro or Topps Heritage/Archives. Same for Clear Vision and Topps Tek/eX Century. Also for Prizm compared to Chrome/Finest.

Flawless, Immaculate, Impeccable, Origins, Gold Standard, Black Gold, Majestic are all the same high end, lottery ticket style break. High rollers only.

Illusions, Phoenix, Xr, Spectra, Unparalleled from what I can tell are originals but Phoenix, Xr, Spectra, and Unparalleled doesn't really differentiate themselves to me. Reminds me of Collector's Edge in 2000, different sets that all seem to be the same. Illusions brings a nifty concept with a comparison to former franchise stalwarts at the same position.

tl: dr - agreed.
(11-04-2018, 09:29 PM)jplarson Wrote: [ -> ]They've basically positioned Donruss Optic as what Prizm used to be as the comparison to Topps Chrome. I believe that the current iteration of Prizm is getting elevated to be the comparison to Topps Finest.

It's funny how some of the most interesting sets they release are the results of acquisitions/industry consolidation. Score and Donruss are the flagship entry level brands for younger collectors/set builders. Absolute contains all the fun hits that Playoff pioneered. Contenders fills the role as the definitive rookie auto brand also founded by Playoff. Panini Preferred is a rebrand of Donruss Preferred. Ditto Panini Elite and Donruss Elite. Panini Select was Score Select. Classics is original but clearly their answer to Upper Deck Retro or Topps Heritage/Archives. Same for Clear Vision and Topps Tek/eX Century. Also for Prizm compared to Chrome/Finest.

Flawless, Immaculate, Impeccable, Origins, Gold Standard, Black Gold, Majestic are all the same high end, lottery ticket style break. High rollers only.

Illusions, Phoenix, Xr, Spectra, Unparalleled from what I can tell are originals but Phoenix, Xr, Spectra, and Unparalleled doesn't really differentiate themselves to me. Reminds me of Collector's Edge in 2000, different sets that all seem to be the same. Illusions brings a nifty concept with a comparison to former franchise stalwarts at the same position.

Couldn't have said it any better.
(11-04-2018, 09:29 PM)jplarson Wrote: [ -> ]They've basically positioned Donruss Optic as what Prizm used to be as the comparison to Topps Chrome. I believe that the current iteration of Prizm is getting elevated to be the comparison to Topps Finest.

This is a very good analysis, especially for a new collector like myself. I was starting to wonder about the hierarchy of all these releases and this clarifies a lot. As much as I want to chase the popular releases, I think I will start to be a little more skeptical of value/enjoyment per release. Prizm is a good product, but upon looking a little closer it is just overpriced and overhyped in my opinion.
I'm doing playoff and score rainbows mostly now. Closer to my budget. I only buy singles from Prizm for must have collections, like my Burfict PC. I prefer cards that have action pictures too, rather than just the dude standing on a shiny surface, but that's just my personal taste.
(11-05-2018, 11:15 AM)savagenate Wrote: [ -> ]I'm doing playoff and score rainbows mostly now. Closer to my budget. I only buy singles from Prizm for must have collections, like my Burfict PC. I prefer cards that have action pictures too, rather than just the dude standing on a shiny surface, but that's just my personal taste.
Definitely agree with you on the photography piece. It's ironic how I prefer the look of Panini football over releases like Prizm or Absolute. Also the reason I have started collecting the 2017 & 2018 donruss retro sets (81 tribute for '17 donruss, '88 and '98 tribute for '18 donruss).

Mr Larson you are the man! Great analysis.