Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Short Print/SSP/#'d cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize in advance, but I am looking for a little clarity on a few terms:

Super Short Print
Short Print
Serial Numbered/#'d cards

I guess what I don't understand is, why would Panini (or any other brand) have a short print/super short print and not put a serial number on it? Or am I missing something entirely? From what I've read, super-short print is a print run of 10 (or less?) so why not put x/10 on all 10 of the cards?
I think carefully making some cards with unannounced print runs would help drive up the perceived scarcity of the product and drive demand. Plus it's one less thing needed in the printing process.
Another person trying to make sense of the card maker processes...LOL.
This is the million dollar question....
(10-30-2018, 11:47 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: [ -> ]Another person trying to make sense of the card maker processes...LOL.
Haha...well at least I am not alone in not knowing the answers.
I just need to know an approximate value of a 2017 classics greg walter olsen 3/5. any help would be much appreciated.
(11-09-2018, 06:20 AM)coachgauna Wrote: [ -> ]I just need to know an approximate value of a 2017 classics greg walter olsen 3/5. any help would be much appreciated.
Check sold listings on ebay for similar cards. That'll give you an idea of value.
(11-09-2018, 11:08 AM)savagenate Wrote: [ -> ]Check sold listings on ebay for similar cards. That'll give you an idea of value.
Agreed, that'll give you the real world sell value of the card. Given that it's extremely short print you may not find any recent sales for the card. What you can do is look up sales for a Greg Olsen card that is numbered out of 5 and is not an autograph or memorabilia card. Keep in mind a set like Classics is considered more mainstream so it wouldn't necessarily sell for as much as say a Panini Flawless Olsen /5.

Another method I like to use is to try and determine what I think the "retail pricing" would be for the card. I consider all Beckett book values to be retail pricing, or what you might expect at a card shop and not at auction. So establishing that, I'll take a look at all known parallels in the set then ballpark what the more scarce cards might go for. Here's an example. Please keep in mind this isn't the actual book value for anything, it's only an example.

Base - $0.50
Red Back /299 - $1.50
Blue Back /175 - $3.00
Blank Back /50 - $5.00
No Name /10 - $8.00
Full Name /5 - $12.00

As you know, Beckett uses standard pricings like 50 cents, 60 cents, 75 cents, $1, $1.25, $1.50, $2.00, $2.50, $3.00, $4.00, etc. So it's a slope of book values. I would look to see how many book value deviations each Olsen card is from each parallel. If they seem to be 2-3 deviations a part, then look at the last printed price, then go up by 2-3 deviations to get to the next level.

This is typically what I'll use to get a guideline on value. Note that depending on the collector/trader/buyer, it may be worth quite a bit more or less but at least gives you an idea.