Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Adios, Kurt Busch...it was great knowing you
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kurt Busch and Monster Energy to leave Stewart-Haas Racing
Motorsport Motorsport 15 hours ago

The former NASCAR Cup Series champion and one of his current sponsor, Monster Energy, will join Chip Ganassi Racing next season, Motorsport.com has learned.

Busch, 40, is expected to drive the No. 1 Chevrolet for CGR, replacing veteran Jamie McMurray, who is in the last year of his current contract with the team, multiple sources confirmed.

An official announcement of the move does not appear to be imminent.

As is usually the case, a spokesman with CGR said the team does not discuss its driver contract discussions in public.

Asked for a comment, a SHR spokesperson provided the following statement, "Stewart-Haas Racing does not comment on the status of its contracts, be it driver or partner related. We appreciate your understanding."

Is anybody shocked? Not me. Welcome to the big leagues, Cole Custer...

And I know everybody loves Jamie McMurray, but he hasn't won a race since 2013. He is solid, but I think Kurt Busch is a slight upgrade...
I am not at all surprised. JMac should have been replaced years ago. And the older he gets, the stupider he gets. His only real chance to win races the past few years has been Daytona and 'Dega, but he keeps making stupid mistakes by racing way too hard, too early and wipes himself out. I wonder how Kurt will do at CGR. He's going back to a Chevy, but this one is very different than the ones he drove 2 or 3 years ago. Also, how will he respond if Larson passes him to win a stage? Big Grin I think they will be good teammates though.

Custer definitely moves into the 41 if SHR gets a new sponsor for it. But who replaces him? It would be funny if it was JMac.