Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 3 extremely odd finds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was curious if anyone has opened 2016-17 Hoops basketball packs and found 1978 football cards in the packs. These packs were not already opened, that I could tell anyway, and there were 2-5 cards in 3 of my 200 or so packs. Been collecting since the mid 70's, and I have never seen this. Any information or similar stories would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mickey
That is odd.... only thing i can think of is that they're some sort of buyback.... i known Donruss wasn't doing cards in the 70's....
Football cards in Basketball packs? That IS odd.
Probably should have asked earlier ... but when you say football do you mean gridiron (american football) or Soccer (European football). If it's soccer that kinda makes sense, but Gridiron .... donruss is the oldest company of the company merger (Donruss, Playoff, Leaf, Pacific) Panini got the licensing for, but they weren't doing cards until the very late eighties.
(07-23-2018, 06:50 PM)taffster74 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably should have asked earlier ... but when you say football do you mean gridiron (american football) or Soccer (European football). If it's soccer that kinda makes sense, but Gridiron .... donruss is the oldest company of the company merger (Donruss, Playoff, Leaf, Pacific) Panini got the licensing for, but they weren't doing cards until the very late eighties.
Yup,twelve cards total, including Bengals cards of Marvin Cobb and Pat McInally, who is an oddity because he was a punter/WR. Not many of those these days, huh?
I have come to the sad conclusion that some of the packs had to have been opened, tampered with and refilled, and then resealed and returned. I have opened thousands of similar packs with no deals like this. Thanks for the input.

Very weird stuff!
(07-23-2018, 06:50 PM)taffster74 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably should have asked earlier ... but when you say football do you mean gridiron (american football) or Soccer (European football). If it's soccer that kinda makes sense, but Gridiron .... donruss is the oldest company of the company merger (Donruss, Playoff, Leaf, Pacific) Panini got the licensing for, but they weren't doing cards until the very late eighties.
Donruss was making football cards in the late 80s? I thought they didn't start until the 90s.
Definitely sounds to me like someone pack searched those packs. I hear about this often in baseball packs / blasters bought at retail stores like WalMart and Target. Also happens with online auctions.

You didn't mention where you got these packs, I'd be curious to know.
(08-03-2018, 03:05 AM)jaykayzee Wrote: [ -> ]WalMart and Target.
There is a ShopKo near me I will not buy from anymore due to problems in this area, unfortunately. I even brought the issue up with management and security, but I can still go back and look at boxes of cards to see that they've been opened.