Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Need opinion on 1992 Topps Archives
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First time posting here and am simply looking for some opinions. What do you guys think of the 1992 Topps archives gold basketball "The Rookies" set? Recently bought the Shaq rookie that was a BGS 9.5 with great subgrades and am now looking for a Jordan gold BGS 9.5. The prices on Ebay fluctuate between $350 and I saw one asking for $950 for a PSA 10. In your guys' eyes, is that particular Jordan card interesting at all. I know its not a rookie, but is there any value to this card as a BGS 9.5 or PSA 10?
The card is worth what you (or someone else) is willing to pay.
(04-10-2018, 08:52 AM)hempick Wrote: [ -> ]The card is worth what you (or someone else) is willing to pay.
Yeah, I get that. I'm really looking to find out opinions about this product. Is this set taken seriously or is it second rate in collectors' eyes.
It was printed in an era of mass-production so that means there are literally millions out there. The gold parallel's were inserted roughly 1 per pack so they're pretty easy to get. It's an interesting - nigh on odd ball - set, but that's about it. The prices you quoted - i think - are a bit over-inflated, but as hempick said, it's worth what you want to pay for it.
Keep looking, and you may find a better price. As noted, there are lots of them out there. They will pop up again for purchase.
Personally I like the set, but something to keep in mind is to go look at the population reports from BGS and PSA for the cards. Then consider that there are at least around 100,000+ of each card made (maybe slightly less for the gold cards, but definitely over 10k of each gold card). Also consider the book value of the card ungraded is not that high. So unless it's incredibly hard to get a 9.5/10 (i.e. less than 10% submitted are graded that high, with at least several hundred of the cards submitted), the value could easily drop if a bunch of that card all of a sudden get submitted for grading and come back as 9.5/10, thus diluting the market.
What a lot of people tend to forget about when it comes to grading is that the value should be driven by the overall supply of the card, not just the supply of the graded versions.
(04-12-2018, 01:09 PM)djohn Wrote: [ -> ]What a lot of people tend to forget about when it comes to grading is that the value should be driven by the overall supply of the card, not just the supply of the graded versions.
+1
I want to thank everyone for their input. The talk of looking at overall supply and not simply a population report was interesting and exactly what I needed. Probably kept me from spending way too much and got me thinking about patience before buying. Thank you.