Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: ? on shipping cheaper card in PWE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So when is it OK to ship a cheaper card in a Plain white Envelope or is it never ok.
At what value point would it not be OK no matter what.

To me it seems ridiculous to mail a card that's value is less than $2.00 low beckett in a bubble mailer that cost 2.66 to send.

Opinions anyone??
NEVER.
If both parties agree it is OK. I have completed several single card trades using a single card in a soft sleeve and toploader protected by a used greeting card in a PWE with no problems. Smile

(03-13-2018, 09:31 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: [ -> ]So when is it OK to ship a cheaper card in a Plain white Envelope or is it never ok.

To me it seems ridiculous to mail a card that's value is less than $2.00 low beckett in a bubble mailer that cost 2.66 to send.

Opinions anyone??
If the card arrives to me in the condition it was described, I don't care if it was shipped by carrier pigeon. This is one instance wherein the ends certainly justify the means. If it gets to me undamaged, who cares how much you paid to ship it?
(03-14-2018, 11:32 AM)jaykayzee Wrote: [ -> ]NEVER.
But you have nothing for trade and nothing for sale so nothing to worry about.
As long as there's a bit of extra protection inside the envelope (and the toploader is taped shut), I'm cool with it.
(03-14-2018, 01:44 PM)jonathani Wrote: [ -> ]If the card arrives to me in the condition it was described, I don't care if it was shipped by carrier pigeon. This is one instance wherein the ends certainly justify the means. If it gets to me undamaged, who cares how much you paid to ship it?

But you have nothing for trade and nothing for sale so nothing to worry about.
I'm sorry, I wasn't aware doing business on here was the only way someone was allowed to have an opinion....

I'm pretty sure the original question wasn't directed ONLY to those who do business on here. I mean yer right, Beckett is THE ONLY WAY someone could POSSIBLY buy or trade in sports memorabilia! I'M SOOO SORRY!

Nice random attack on a fellow board member.
(03-13-2018, 09:31 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: [ -> ]So when is it OK to ship a cheaper card in a Plain white Envelope or is it never ok.

Opinions anyone??
Skipping over the drama queen stuff...
Yes, if both parties agree it should be no problem at all. I put a piece of cardboard in the team bag with the card and toploader as extra protection and it just adds one stamp to the cost.
(03-15-2018, 11:47 AM)jaykayzee Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry, I wasn't aware doing business on here was the only way someone was allowed to have an opinion....

I'm pretty sure the original question wasn't directed ONLY to those who do business on here. I mean yer right, Beckett is THE ONLY WAY someone could POSSIBLY buy or trade in sports memorabilia! I'M SOOO SORRY!

Nice random attack on a fellow board member.
Please relax, JKZ. No one is attacking you, so there is no need to yell in sarcasm and get defensive. If you took my response personally, perhaps you need some time away from message boards.
I always ship with a bubble mailer, and unless it is agreed upon between me and the seller, then I hope the other person uses a bubble mailer for shipping their cards, too. Shipping with a PWE can damage the cards inside very easily, and durability of the paper envelope can be an issue as well.
(03-13-2018, 09:31 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: [ -> ]To me it seems ridiculous to mail a card that's value is less than $2.00 low beckett in a bubble mailer that cost 2.66 to send.
$2.66?? For me in the states to send a bubble mailer to Canada is now $10US minimum. For that reason, I won't do trades / send cards valuing less than the cost of postage, unless you really, really have to have it and are willing to receive it in a toploader in a PWE. And a jersey card should absolutely never be sent that way, it'll flex and crease in the mailstream (I've got a stack of ruined jersey cards sent to me in just a toploader, even in bubble mailers).

All that said, I've received hundreds of single, regular cards (not thick cards) sent in toploaders and PWEs over the years, and can't remember ever getting one that was damaged en route, so I think it's probably OK for a single, regular thickness card virtually all the time (watch, now I've jinxed myself and I'll get a pile of damaged cards!!). And I've never gotten an empty envelope where the card and toploader escaped along the way, but I'd be concerned that it could happen.
Pages: 1 2