Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: The Comedy of Hockey Cards at Times
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes this hobby gives me a laugh.

When people sell a card that say Beckett highs for 8 dollars and they list it on ebay for 70 dollars (or so).

When you list a card for xx amount or best offer and someone offers you 5% of what you listed it for, then they come back with a 7% offer after you shut them down.

Some people on forums offering lol prices or trades for cards you have. I'll give you this Cocomo Joe common for your Matthews young gun---ooo let me get right on that

anyways, sometimes this hobby makes me giggle
oh another one. I'll list cards on ebay at times from the 90s (inserts) that have a pretty strong price, for example a Select Double Strike Gold Fedorov /903 which Becketts around 40 in the shape mine is. Ill throw it up there for 2 bucks, and I can stone cold guarantee no one will buy it (done it twice now). But put up a 2017-18 auto of some no name rookie and its a slugfest to see who bids highest.

this hobby kills me at times
I think some of the 90's prices need to be adjusted down.
Over the past few months, I've paid $18 for a $6 card & $20 for an $8 card on Buy it now Auctions. Who cares if someone asks more than BV for something? List the right cards and people will come flocking to you. Vasilevskiy is now 10X the BV & Barzal 6X (Soon to be more)

That 17-18 Dud auto rookie may be unknown to you, but to those bidding, they (likely) have more in-depth knowledge of the players future worth. I remember having an Exclusives Young Gun of some unknown guy that i traded away for some misc cards. At the time it was worth $25 & 5 years later it's $200 and he leads the league in scoring Sad

90's Parallels are worth $2 at best. Cards #'d/10 can barely get you $10. a card #'d /903 should have little more value than a base card
I never uses the guide for selling or buying, IMO completed ebay prices are the best judge of card TRUE values. Remember as Beckett list it is only a guide. A good example for me is buying cards of NHL players born in Newfoundland. Online they can be found cheap locally they are probably selling for 100X guide or ebay completed prices. Guides may work okay for shops who have rent, utility bills and wages but online guide do not work. Another example is players like Felix Potvin, Trevor Linden, Marion Gaborik these players have strong followings and their cards always sell above most every other player but the guide don't reflect it.
(01-27-2018, 10:13 PM)hitanktank Wrote: [ -> ]But put up a 2017-18 auto of some no name rookie and its a slugfest to see who bids highest.

this hobby kills me at times
People love those autos, do they not?