Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Just bought this card how bad is the edge wear?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just bought this Joe Thomas relic card for like $4 because the card seemed to be in decent condition along with the low serial number on it. Theres visible edge wear on the bottom left it looks like, but the other areas seem fine. Just wanted to get the general consensus on if that edge wear completely puts the potential grade or resale value of the card in the trashcan, or if its still worth it in this condition for $4, whats the value of the card? it looks fine beyond the edgewear but id really like more opinions and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Link to card image: https://imgur.com/a/7gn5A
(11-20-2017, 10:03 PM)InvincibleRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Just bought this Joe Thomas relic card for like $4 because the card seemed to be in decent condition along with the low serial number on it. Theres visible edge wear on the bottom left it looks like, but the other areas seem fine. Just wanted to get the general consensus on if that edge wear completely puts the potential grade or resale value of the card in the trashcan, or if its still worth it in this condition for $4, whats the value of the card? it looks fine beyond the edgewear but id really like more opinions and feedback. Thanks in advance.

Link to card image: https://imgur.com/a/7gn5A
You bought an offensive lineman for the Cleveland Browns for $4. If reselling it was your intent, there are probably better things to do with your money. If it is for yourself, the little edgewear shouldn't matter so much. If that was an offensive lineman past or present in that condition with that serial number from my team I would buy it, even if I saw it in person ahead of time.
(11-21-2017, 01:50 AM)collectorsnet Wrote: [ -> ]You bought an offensive lineman for the Cleveland Browns for $4. If reselling it was your intent, there are probably better things to do with your money. If it is for yourself, the little edgewear shouldn't matter so much. If that was an offensive lineman past or present in that condition with that serial number from my team I would buy it, even if I saw it in person ahead of time.
Yeah the purpose isnt for reselling, i just wanted to know if it was more valuable than what i paid for it, just to understand the value of the cards I own, I like to collect pro bowl cards of different players so that was motivation behind the purchase itself, so its going to go into a toploader in my collection no matter what, but just wanted to see if anybody knew the price on it for educational reasons.
It'll ding the value of the card for sure, but if it's a card I wanted, I'd certainly buy it. I have a few cards with edge wear in my collection. Certain brands just have those issues. Usually you can get a good deal on them because of the dings. It's a nice card!
(11-21-2017, 03:05 AM)InvincibleRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah the purpose isnt for reselling, i just wanted to know if it was more valuable than what i paid for it, just to understand the value of the cards I own, I like to collect pro bowl cards of different players so that was motivation behind the purchase itself, so its going to go into a toploader in my collection no matter what, but just wanted to see if anybody knew the price on it for educational reasons.
So I'm not sure if you're a new collector or just new to Beckett, so if I'm over-explaining this, I apologize.

There are two definitions of "worth" - book value and what someone is willing to pay for it.

You bought it for $4, so right now that's what it's worth as far as what you were willing to pay for it.

What it books for can be found either in the online subscription to Beckett or in a printed copy (mostly in bookstores these days, as most grocery stores seem to be phasing them out).

But, hey, a $4 investment on a memorabilia card of a future Hall of Famer seems like a nice pickup to me ... he recently had an insane consecutive snaps streak broken by suffering a torn muscle.

And, of course, the bottom line with any card is, if you're happy with it, it was worth it.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

RJ
I know cards are simply not worth what they used to be, but game-used Pro Bowl patch card of a future Hall of Fame lineman numbered to 25 for $4 is a pretty sweet deal for a card collector.
(11-22-2017, 03:58 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]future Hall of Famer
Really?
(12-01-2017, 10:58 AM)jonathani Wrote: [ -> ]Really?
Yeah, really. it's Joe freaking Thomas. While he might have been on the Browns all those years, I think his loyalty and the fact he was a huge part of the o-line, as well as his streak, he's a shoe-in. Maybe not first ballot, but I think he'll be in within 5 years of getting onto the ballot; it just depends who else is vying for votes.

As for the card, I think $4 is a steal. It's a Joe Thomas Pro Bowl card, #'ed of 25, AND it's a BIG piece of a seam. it's not just a piece going accross, it looks like part of a number.
After a quick search and some deducing, I'm guess it's a 2017 Score. Without knowing the card number, I can't be completely sure. But, they are the same values regardless. I'm a touch grader, so I'd give that a 6.5, maybe a 7/10. it's a $10 card at 8/10, so a 7 would make it $5, and a 6/10 would make it $3.
So, going by my grading, you paid about what it's worth, in my opinion. But, the fact that you got a good chunk of the number raises it a bit for me.
You said it was for your personal collection. I wouldn't let a small mark like that for a /25 S# Jersey card with that seam bother me that much. I'd consider that a nice deal, but not quite a steal.
(12-01-2017, 10:58 AM)jonathani Wrote: [ -> ]Really?
Yeah, really!

Basically everybody that is involved with football on a coaching, broadcasting, playing or front office level - or fans that know anything about football - universally agrees with me.

Google "Joe Thomas" and see what happens!