Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Donruss Retail Comparisons
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to Target yesterday and bought 3 different boxes of 2017 Donruss: regular blaster and 2 different hanger boxes.

Regular Blaster - 88 cards, $19.99: 5 Rookies, 6 Rated Rookies, 4 inserts, 1 gud (guaranteed)
Hanger (advertised with 2 Rookies & 2 Rated Rookies) - 50 cards, $9.99: 2 Rookies, 2 Rated Rookies, 15 inserts (5 Red Press Proofs)
Hanger (advertised with 3 green parallels) - 50 cards, $9.99: 2 Rookies, 2 Rated Rookies, 13 inserts (3 Green Press Proofs)

So unless you are hoping to hit a something better than a $6 gu'd, looks like you get way more value with the hangers. Buying 2 hangers instead of 1 blaster will leave you with 3 less RC's, but with loads more inserts.
Djohn was saying the same thing about Bowman Platinum Baseball that Hangars are the better deal. I wonder why retail products are set up that way?
Maybe Panini/Topps feel a gu'd has more value than inserts. Unfortunately, unless you hit one of the top rookies, you usually end up with a $4-$6 gu'd. I had an insert in both hangers that were a higher BV ($8) than the blaster gu'd I got ($6).
(08-19-2017, 09:53 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: [ -> ]Djohn was saying the same thing about Bowman Platinum Baseball that Hangars are the better deal. I wonder why retail products are set up that way?
(08-19-2017, 08:05 PM)dogger99 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe Panini/Topps feel a gu'd has more value than inserts. Unfortunately, unless you hit one of the top rookies, you usually end up with a $4-$6 gu'd. I had an insert in both hangers that were a higher BV ($8) than the blaster gu'd I got ($6).
Last year I broke blasters of 2016 that had a guaranteed memorabilia card...well, luckily the two I broke both had Prescott so it was worth the price. But, definitely not the norm.
From what it looks like looking at the possible cards, only the ones with "2 Rated Rookies and 2 Rookies" per box have a shot at getting an autograph and have lower numbered parallels as a possibility.

But I believe with these, Hobby Boxes with one guaranteed auto and 1 memorabilia card, 1 rookie (24 total), 1 rated rookie (24 total), and 2 non-base cards per pack (48 total) offer the best value. That isn't always the case.
There is another hanger box available at Walmart that has 15 inserts and a game used for $15. I noticed that it had a game used, but didn't realize it was $5 more than the other hangers until I checked out. The box also has red parallels as their exclusive (including the game used being a red parallel).
They got you. I remember at the end Topps had the different hanger boxes. Did you get lucky with a gu'd that made it worth the extra $5?

(08-21-2017, 11:53 AM)djohn Wrote: [ -> ]There is another hanger box available at Walmart that has 15 inserts and a game used for $15. I noticed that it had a game used, but didn't realize it was $5 more than the other hangers until I checked out. The box also has red parallels as their exclusive (including the game used being a red parallel).
(08-21-2017, 01:21 PM)dogger99 Wrote: [ -> ]They got you. I remember at the end Topps had the different hanger boxes. Did you get lucky with a gu'd that made it worth the extra $5?
No, it was a jersey of an offensive lineman. So definitely not worth it, but I wanted to check out Donruss anyway. In terms of expected book value, I am sure that I did better than $15, and who knows maybe the red parallels will be more desirable. So overall I am not upset about the money spent on the box.