Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: When to put in the Commons pile?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just curious for those who catalog their cards...what's the minimum card value that you require before you sleeve and store the card?

Personally I throw everything under $2 into the commons pile.
Personally I'll penny sleeve anything that would be priced separately in Beckett, so higher than an unlisted star as well as all rookie cards (ya never know!). Semi-rigid cases for anything $5 or more. Cards that are $50 or more are up for grading consideration.
I rarely put cards in sleeves unless I am pulling them to put up for trade or sale. The biggest exception is for cards in my PC. I try to keep each in a penny sleeve and more expensive ones in top loaders, but it doesn't always happen.
Everything I get that I'm keeping goes in a sleeve, and then into a top loader or binder. If it's just a common card no one is likely to want, I toss it in a box to donate or sell off as a cheap lot.
$1 to sleeve, $4 to top load.

I separate the rest by more than 7-years, or less. Donate the 'more than', estimating book at around $.15 @ - as you can take full value if you get that value from an industry-accepted price guide.

Less than 7-years, at some point down the road I will flip through again, look for any late bloomers, and then donate those; but they will price out at about $.50-.60 @ with the newer card pricing. To be safe, in case of an audit, I may have to catalog these commons before I donate them, to prove the claimed value.

Also watch that $5k limit on donations. Over $5k you have to get an IRS form signed by the person who accepted your donation. Had to forfeit a couple boxes worth of cards to get back under the $5k threshold.
(04-21-2017, 12:29 PM)sharkbyte Wrote: [ -> ]$1 to sleeve, $4 to top load.

I separate the rest by more than 7-years, or less. Donate the 'more than', estimating book at around $.15 @ - as you can take full value if you get that value from an industry-accepted price guide.

Less than 7-years, at some point down the road I will flip through again, look for any late bloomers, and then donate those; but they will price out at about $.50-.60 @ with the newer card pricing. To be safe, in case of an audit, I may have to catalog these commons before I donate them, to prove the claimed value.

Also watch that $5k limit on donations. Over $5k you have to get an IRS form signed by the person who accepted your donation. Had to forfeit a couple boxes worth of cards to get back under the $5k threshold.
Thanks for the tax tips. I actually claimed my first card donations this year and was curious at what point the feds would start putting up red flags.
I used to go by anything that was worth over $5 would go in to a binder and anything less would go in to a 5,000-ct box. I don't pick up many packs or boxes any more so that rule doesn't matter for me as much any more.