Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: My four favorite cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I know this is random, but love seeing posts of any of your guys' cards. I thought I would share my four favorite cards. These are the cards I would never let go if I had to sell my collection for whatever reason.
2004 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Black Barry Larkin Auto 1/1
2005 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Gold Chad Johnson Auto 4/10
2008 Upper Deck Premier Signature Premier Bronze Joey Votto 19/25
2005 Donruss Master Craftsmen Black Ken Griffey Jr. 4/10

[Image: image_zps0lqfkczd.jpeg]

Also decided to add it to my signature....

Took it off my signature. Too big.
Nice cards!
It's tough for me to pick just 4, but here are four I really enjoy:
[Image: i-QkD5CJd-M.jpg]
[Image: i-jHrPZpg-M.jpg]
[Image: i-CxM2QS8-M.jpg]
[Image: i-vGGKK8w-M.jpg]
WOW! Both, very nice!
I'm going to go with these four.

I must have more than 25,000 cards more valuable than this one but this is the first card I ever got and the most important card in my collection. None of others make me feel like I felt when this 1970 Kellogg's 3-D Willie McCovey literally fell out of my Corn Flakes box in front of me. This card sent me on a 47 year obsession that I have enjoyed most every minute of. My wife and kids have been instructed to slip it into my shirt pocket when they eventually put me away for good. It's going with me.

This is my favorite card of my favorite player from the beginning and the player I imitated all through my childhood in the 60s and 70s. In the late 80s I met him and did a TV commercial with him. He starred in it and I did the voice. That day he signed three cards for me. This one I got from an extremely generous Beckett member for designing a signature for him.

I traded the first Autographed card I'd ever pulled for this one. The card I traded was of "The Shot Heard Around the World" signed on card by both Ralph Branca and Bobby Thomson. I had been pining for a Griffey Jr. auto for many years and finally got this one thanks to another member here. I think it's cool that it's numbered exactly halfway through the print run.

I traded 10 Red Sox game-used cards for this one with a friend over in Scotland who is a Red Sox fan thanks to the TV show Cheers. It took a lot for this Red Sox fan to give up that many Red Sox game-used cards but it's Mickey "Freakin" Mantle and it's numbered 3/7.

You were saying that there are cards you wouldn't sell, well while there are cards I would never want to sell I have 4 I would never sell and want my boys to have them when I'm gone. The boys are currently 7 and 5. The first two are from my collection but the last to are their first 1/1 pulls

[Image: JordanFleerRCBGS6.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0015.jpg]
[Image: IMG_20141207_0002_zps82369838.jpg]

[Image: Bob%20Lemon%20Cut%201%20of%201_zpsemvsd1x2.jpg]

I enjoy seeing other cards as well. Difficult to pick four but today these are my favorite cards.

1 - Ichiro Chrome Retrofractor, I think I paid a $1 or $2 for a pack of Topps and this card was on top.

2 - Traded a Sosa Leaf (I think), Rookie card in 1998 for this Arod.

3 - My first "High End" card (Brown dot not on card).

4 - 2016 Topps Now

[Image: scan_zpsihla8jr9.jpg]
My 4 "untouchable" cards

1. 1968 Nolan Ryan PSA 3 RC I got this from a shop last Christmas Visiting my mom in Tennessee, I bought it ungraded, but mainly just slabbed for long term safety. It was the first time my mom met her granddaughter.
2. 2014 Topps Chrome Brandin Cooks Patch/AU 10/50. Stopped by the LCS the day my daughter was born, pulled this.
3. 1981 Joe Montana BGS 8.5 Got this in a trade with a member here raw, always been a Montana fan, plus 81 was the year I was born
4. 1994 Brett Favre Trophy Collection. Got this in a pack of cards my grandparents got me for Christmas 23 years ago, the memory of pulling it will always be with me

[Image: 16251269_10206842563177086_489965585_o.jpg]
Thanks for the comments and sharing your cards. I love the wide range of favorites! There's some nice cards out there.
Ozzie Smith, Albert Pujols, Mark McGwire and Jim Edmonds. Those are my 4 favorite Cards.

I don't remember those other guys shown being on any St. Louis teams...
no photos because I don't have them all handy in one place to share:

no particular order but cards and reason why:

1971 Topps Hank Aaron - this card is beat to death, its got a huge crease down the middle, but back when I was 10 or 11 (1991) my parents had an electronics repair booth at a flea market - my mom and I would do a lot of yard sale/storage locker/estate sale buying and selling on the side at the flea market to keep us entertained (picking up stuff elsewhere and selling there) - I was into toys and cards, so was always trading, buying, selling and flipping stuff around. one of our storage hits was of a nice lil collection of 50's-early 70's cards including the Aaron. since it had no real value and I was a huge Braves fan being a 10 year old...in Atlanta I kept that one. its my favorite year of Topps - the look of it..everything. I love that card. I have a nicer grade copy of it now but my beat up one is still #1

1990-91 hoops Michael Jordan w/ wrong back 1990 pro set reggie white probowl back card - packpulled/won in a game of pack wars with the jolly ol cigar smoking flea market card vendor I hung around and annoyed all day every day on the weekends the split second I made any money at our booth - I've posted about it a few times here over the years. back then I was offered up to $500 for it... was convinced (weren't we all early 90s?) it would one day pay for college and a mansion or some nonsense..kept it put away. still have it - still my favorite card I own - doubt it would crack $100 if I sold it now. priceless to me.

from the Venters collection I'd say its a tie between 2008 chrome red Refractor from Cardboardfan on here that we worked out a trade for years ago, or the japanese sega card gen Venters cards from another user here. the process of getting the Japanese cards was really nice, if not for stupid brain damage I could tell you their user name also - but they treated me well, sent a few extra goodies from japan that my daughter loves and they made my day. also got a few other Braves players he threw in and they are the only ones that were on display in our old display out of all the crazy Venters cards we own.

I'll skip Maddux collection and just go with the above.
Pages: 1 2 3