Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: HELP! I cant find any record of this card...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hoping someone might have more info about this card... its a 2004 Press Pass Premium Chase for the Cup Beckett.com Exclusive Tony Stewart #4 of 10 Limited Edition, slabbed straight from Beckett. Just trying to determine value/rarity
I don't know what to tell you. It looks like Beckett just took base cards and slabbed them with that tag. The card looks no different than base cards and Beckett didn't even add them to their own database. It's numbered the same as the base set and all parallels even though they call it #4. Maybe they are trying to say that is a serial number, but that seems silly to me.
How did you acquire this card? I'm just curious.
My guess is that it was a Beckett gimmick. Back in the mid-2000s they were trying to add value to cards by putting them in BGS slabs and identifying them differently. The #4 of 10 on the slab would represent the serial number (i.e. serial numbered #'d 4/10). This way Beckett could take 10 of the same card that normally would cost $1 or less and market it as a Beckett.com exclusive limited to only 10 copies, and mark the price up significantly. Essentially it's like the after market 1/1s that got hugely popular in the early-2000s, except it's from a more "reputable" company, i.e. Beckett, as they wanted in on that game too.
I don't know for fact that is what they did for this particular card, but they did do it for other cards (mostly basketball and football) from Press Pass and SAGE around that same time period.