Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Help finding a Giannis Antetokounmpo card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Disclaimer: I am new to card collecting, so I don't know resources or lingo.

With that said, I want to get a premium Giannis card.

I found a local hobby store and I bought a basic rookie card that cost $6.00. That's just to have one.

I am willing to spend some money on a better card that will likely appreciate, but I want guidance. Here is my dillemma.

There was a particle Panini card that the store owner mentioned there was only 10 made. It cost about $100. As a person who does his own research, I wanted to verify this for myself. But there are particulars about the card that I apparently don't know in order to research it.

Regardless of this, I am having difficulty learning what drives a card's value. It would seem the print run would (less cards = more valuable). But I don't know if card type drives value more or company does.

Knowing that I want a Giannis card, can anyone give me a process to help me determine what the value Giannis cards are, and what characteristics I can consider to determine what my price sensitivity is?
Panini controls the card market. Most brands are Panini based. Some higher end than others. The higher the brand the more the card will be worth/the lower the print run will also increase value.

I would use ebay's prior sales to try and figure out how much an item is usually going for.

Just as a secondary note to that, Card value is also driven by "hype." A lot of times cards can outsell their beckett book value and other times you can see the card get 1/100th of that value. Player marketability and fan base can help to recreate value. Beckett value is essentially an obsolete way of looking at a card. Ebay prior sales are directly what drives the market
(01-05-2017, 02:36 PM)ballahollic22 Wrote: [ -> ]Panini controls the card market. Most brands are Panini based. Some higher end than others. The higher the brand the more the card will be worth/the lower the print run will also increase value.

I would use ebay's prior sales to try and figure out how much an item is usually going for.

Just as a secondary note to that, Card value is also driven by "hype." A lot of times cards can outsell their beckett book value and other times you can see the card get 1/100th of that value. Player marketability and fan base can help to recreate value. Beckett value is essentially an obsolete way of looking at a card. Ebay prior sales are directly what drives the market
If I wanted to limit myself to some of the more valuable cards, are there 3-4 premium brands I could focus on?

Also - if there is a particular card that Ebay Completed Sales shows as having good value, does buying the complete set that the card would be in seem like a sound strategy?