Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Hobby vs Retail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anyone know of a good site that can provide information on the differences between hobby and retail versions of cards?
I don't know of any particular websites but I do know retail boxes have more of your common cards with a lesser chance of a auto or a patch auto etc etc. With a hobby box you typically know actually what your getting card wise but not player. Hobby boxes are more straight forward on what your getting . You can get hit big from a retail box but you will have greater chances with a hobby box being it geared more for hits.
Are you talking basic differences in cards? A general rule retail uses a thinner card stock vs the thicker in hobby, or hobby will have a shinny Finish vs a dull or lack of finish in retail or there may be foil differences like no foil in retail but foil in hobby
(01-04-2017, 02:05 AM)StylinDylan7 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you talking basic differences in cards? A general rule retail uses a thinner card stock vs the thicker in hobby, or hobby will have a shinny Finish vs a dull or lack of finish in retail or there may be foil differences like no foil in retail but foil in hobby
I am new to this, so I reading some information that I didn't know. So would it be accurate to say that if I was hoping to land a premium card for a specific player (or land premium cards that are inherently more valuable) that I would be better off buying a hobby box vs a retail box?
Yes you are by far more likely to hit nicer cards in hobby then retail but it can happen in retail its just alot less likely
(01-05-2017, 01:31 AM)Semitar Wrote: [ -> ]I am new to this, so I reading some information that I didn't know. So would it be accurate to say that if I was hoping to land a premium card for a specific player (or land premium cards that are inherently more valuable) that I would be better off buying a hobby box vs a retail box?
I have opened over 50 Blasters in my life and only 1 autograph came out of all of that! Some people have been more lucky, but the rest of my autographs are from hobby boxes, although you will pay a premium price for the privilege.
It depends what you're looking for.

If you're just building a base set of Donruss football, for example, retail is way cheaper.

If you want "hits" - jersey and auto cards - then your odds are better in hobby.

(But almost always more expensive.)

Many retail products are now guaranteeing a jersey or auto card per box or blaster.

There are even some "crossover" retail products that are more like hobby boxes now.

For example, Rookies & Stars football is a Target exclusive this year, coming in various pack and box formations.

One of their box formats is a sealed box of six 10-card packs for $99.99, which includes two autographs and two jersey cards per box.

The ironic thing is, as far as big "hits" over the years, I have had WAY more success in retail.

I have pulled autos of Kris Bryant, Bryce Harper, Anthony Davis, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Kobe Bryant, to name a few, out of packs and boxes at Target.

You can get a good feel for what people are pulling - hobby and retail - by watching the box breaks sections in each of the forums.

Hope that helps!
I personally haven't really had any luck with retail boxes. It's all a game of chance anyways. My best advice is find a comfortable budget and base that off what cards you buy. With retail boxes there no waiting or shipping involved if you don't have a local card shop in your area. Just read the boxes well to know what your gonna get .
(01-05-2017, 11:21 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]For example, Rookies & Stars football is a Target exclusive this year, coming in various pack and box formations.

One of their box formats is a sealed box of six 10-card packs for $99.99, which includes two autographs and two jersey cards per box.
How do they secure that from all the pack searchers? Any time I've been in a target it's the wild west in that section.
(01-05-2017, 12:45 PM)jplarson Wrote: [ -> ]How do they secure that from all the pack searchers? Any time I've been in a target it's the wild west in that section.
As long as you don't buy single packs, there is no way for the searchers to check the Blasters, Hanger Boxes, and other sealed products, which is what the other guy was referring to. I saw a 50+ guy standing there with a food scale, but so many packs have those 'plugs' in there now to discourage pack searching.
Pages: 1 2