Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Memories of pulling specific cards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just wondering if anyone has any memories of specific cards that they pulled?

For baseball, I'd say the one that sticks out in my head the most is my 1997 Leaf Statistical Standout Mark McGwire card /1000.

I remember that I pulled from a pack of cards that I got from a store in Monmouth Mall in Eatontown, NJ.

I also remember being so excited when I pulled it that I couldn't pronounce the word "statistical." I kept saying "stastistical" instead.

----

Another one that I can vividly remember is when I pulled a Ken Griffey Jr. 1995 Gold Leaf Star insert /10000.

It was from a pack of cards that I bought at a Cost Cutters (they don't exist anymore) in Belmar, NJ.

----

Last but not least, I remember pulling a 1994 Score The Cycle Carlos Baerga insert. It was from a pack at a store that used to be in the Lehigh Valley Mall in PA. I vividly remember pulling the card from the pack and racing downstairs as fast as I could because there was a bookstore on the lower level and I wanted to check the price.

It was worth $30 at the time. Worth about $1 now. :-p

----

Share yours!
I remember one fateful day in 2011. I was in Target and I decided to pick up a pack of Heritage (in the 1962 tradition) because that was a favorite design when I collected 20+ years prior. In that pack was a signed & numbered 62/62 (or 63/63?) of Brooks Robinson and I was immediately hooked and reeled back into collecting cardboard.
The most vivid was a blaster box of action packed football I got at a Kmart. I pulled a Studs card of Jerry rice, had that little diamond fleck as an earring. I screamed so loud my mom thought I had fallen down the stairs.

For baseball it's easily 1995 pinnacle. Got a few packs on a Walmart trip. Couldn't wait to get home, ripped them.open in the backseat of my dad's car and got a team pinnacle Biggio/Alomar
Two of my favorites:

The year was 1996. Select baseball was out and they had an insert called TEAM NUCLEUS from each team depicting 3 of their best players. I absolutely LOVED those inserts. Being a Twins fan, I had to have theirs. Lo and behold I pulled one at the card shop...and was ecstatic! (I think it booked at $12). It had Kirby Puckett, Chuck Knoblauch and Marty Cordova on it.

This past years Bowman Platinum. I bought a "hobby" box from Wal-Mart. Was really hoping for a decent auto....and BAM! Green refractor Corey Seager! (FYI - The Dodgers are my 2nd favorite team after the Twins).

Happy Collecting!

Mark
Got two. First was back in '91. I was 12 and riding my bike to the local quick stop pulled this out of a pack: George Brett. Knew what it was instantly as I was a beckett reader back then, man I thought I was rich! It's still in my collection.

Second was just last year when I was just creeping back into collecting. First time back into a card shop which is now my LCS (dangerously close to where I work)... Anyway, this was about August and I pulled this: Kris Bryant. Dude behind the counter nearly shat himself. Yea, was instantly hooked again
My favorite was in 2001. I was in the local Wal-Mart and saw the card display and picked up a pack of 2001 Topps Chrome for $2. Went out to the car and opened the pack, the top card was an Ichiro Retrofractor. My LCS told me to sell it but I never could and still have it today.

Same Wal-Mart in 2015, bought 3 packs of Topps Chrome, pulled two pink refractors of Kris Bryant.
I pulled a Kershaw low #'ed perhaps red ink auto I believe from Heritage back before he got too big in maybe 2008.

I don't remember the specifics now as I traded it away long ago since I only collected Braves but it is one of the ones worth quite a bit now.
Last year when I bought a box of 2015 Finest from my LCS and pulled a green auto redemption of Bryant. Sent in to get graded and got a 10/10 out of it! Smile
I got a good deal from Blowout on a box of 2011 Bowman Platinum and 2011 Finest. Thought I'd made the entire purchase worth it with the second pack of Platinum when I pulled a Harper blue parallel auto. Until I pulled a Trout x-fractor auto out of the Finest. And if that wasn't enough, the other auto from the Platinum was a Matt Harvey redemption (which I did eventually get) and a bonus auto from the Finest was a redemption that was replaced with the green parallel of the Harvey platinum auto. Needless to say, it was the best box busting day of my life.

And just to show that life works things out sometimes, I used the money from the sale of the Harper and Trout to fund a trip to visit a girl I met online. And a little over a year ago she became my wife. I don't have the money for the trip without selling those cards.
(12-19-2016, 09:07 AM)flood and fire Wrote: [ -> ]I got a good deal from Blowout on a box of 2011 Bowman Platinum and 2011 Finest. Thought I'd made the entire purchase worth it with the second pack of Platinum when I pulled a Harper blue parallel auto. Until I pulled a Trout x-fractor auto out of the Finest. And if that wasn't enough, the other auto from the Platinum was a Matt Harvey redemption (which I did eventually get) and a bonus auto from the Finest was a redemption that was replaced with the green parallel of the Harvey platinum auto. Needless to say, it was the best box busting day of my life.

And just to show that life works things out sometimes, I used the money from the sale of the Harper and Trout to fund a trip to visit a girl I met online. And a little over a year ago she became my wife. I don't have the money for the trip without selling those cards.
Omg, what a great story. Congrats!
Pages: 1 2 3