Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: (UPDATE) Did I miss something? (? about the latest Beckett Baseball magazine)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Should have done this first, but I called Beckett regarding this. They will no longer be carrying prices from 1948-1980 due to a lack of pages in the magazine. They also anticipate within a few years eliminating the 80's and 90's and starting the monthly guide with prices from 2000 forward.

HOWEVER...you can purchase the yearly price guide which will include all of the years in which cards have been produced. DUH! (That's what I told him...) I expressed my displeasure and of course it will fall on deaf ears. This sucks.

I received my latest copy of Beckett Baseball with Chris Sale of the Chisox on the cover. A friend of mine is working on a 69 Topps set and wanted me to check something out for him. So I flip to the price guide section and.....WHAT? It no longer had prices for cards from 1948-1980. It starts with 1981 Donruss!?!!?!?!?!?

Did I miss something? Did we know this was happening? I'm confused!

Anyway....can someone fill me in?

Thanks and Happy Collecting!

Mark
That seems insane to me. Especially for the simple fact there are 37 pages of cards from 2004-2006 in the issue I am looking at right now. Chock full of players such as Jason Bartlett, Jeff Fiorentino, Matt Tuiasosopo, Richie Robnett, Wladimir Balentien, Casey Rogowski, Yunieski Betancourt... Many players throughout the magazine should be consolidated into the set headers. I am guessing Wladimir Balentien's 2005 Elite #173 /1500 RC autos are not selling at the current $bv these days anyways?
Print is expensive. Very expensive. They - like most print publications - are going to start pushing more and more toward a completely digital existence. This is a way to start that shift.

The only way to keep everything in there would be to raise the price. And it wouldn't be pennies, it would be dollars. Just the nature of the beast.
I remember when they took out the 1909-11 t206 and t205, and Goudy I was bummed so I looked into Beckett and found this site. I do not buy a mag anymore but every once in a while i will flip through it.

It would be nice to see if Beckett would publish all these sets 2 a year in the Mag. Like opening month and world series month and have arrows if any change during that time frame
I totally get that. Had they mentioned this before actually doing it, I might not have renewed my sub for 2 years. I understand I could get a refund...it's more of a they should have said something to its subscribers.

(06-30-2016, 12:20 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: [ -> ]Print is expensive. Very expensive. They - like most print publications - are going to start pushing more and more toward a completely digital existence. This is a way to start that shift.

The only way to keep everything in there would be to raise the price. And it wouldn't be pennies, it would be dollars. Just the nature of the beast.
Apparently, a price guide doesn't need to have actual, useful prices in it. Is Beckett going to charge less for a magazine with less information? That would only be fit.
The problem is that Beckett has gotten lazy with updating pricing for a lot of cards. I realize it is difficult to update pricing for millions of cards, but when I open the magazine or check pricing online and see that there are no-name rookies from the 2000s that have $20 rookies, and in the same set there is a late-blooming star player whose rookie is listed as $5, then I find it hard to trust the pricing of everything else.
Then again I can't argue that most cards from 1990 and earlier don't change much in value month to month. Thus I can understand that they want to remove the pricing. However I wish they would fix some of the pricing of sets from a decade ago and that would also allow them to save quite a bit of space.
I'm also a bit surprised that they haven't added an unlisted superstar list, like they have for unlisted stars and semistars. Then then could simply add another header to each section and call it unlisted superstars which would save a ton of space in the magazine. Then again maybe that's their next step. We probably won't know until the issue shows up that does it.
You haven't missed anything. I have noticed all the Blow In Cards the price of the Subscriptions have gone up about $ 2.00 per year. Must have to pay the Camel Jockeys more to answer the phones and then they don't know about any Promotion Coded.
I just received my August 2016 Beckett Football Magazine and on page 24 Hot List Singles they have (13 ) Players that are Hot, ( Excuse me they haven't even Played a Professional Game , never mind going to Boot Camp- Beckett Editor must work for Sports Illustrated looking for Hot Dudes.

The paper quality that they print the prices have been cheap for years. Now you can barely read the Fonts because the ink is not Bold Black..

What are they going to do with the Beckett Basketball Monthly. Are they going to do away with The Card Prices on all the Golden Players from the 1986 and up.

Why do they have the scrolling messages across the screen for Players you have never heard about.
The day's of Beckett's physical price guide are pretty much over. Back when I use to get it (1989-1992) it was just great. You had huge font (by comparison) and all card prices dating back to the late 40's. But as the card boom died off and the internet took hold, they started to shift their attention towards the e-version which I personally don't enjoy. As a resource, it's great! But it's nothing like the good old days imo.
Go to eBay and look at the bid pricing on an average to see the CURRENT value of your cards ..... nowadays players are a steroid scandal , assault case away from being worthless and it's correct that beckett can't print the market fast enough .I have seen a huge trend up on vintage on ebay and at shows so they really could never keep up being vintage is based on condition
Pages: 1 2