Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Stream video of the grading process?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

Wondering if you ever considered recording the grading process where the individual whose card(s) you are grading could see what the individual grading the card saw that led to the grade assigned?

Not that I don't trust the grading, would just like to better understand where the grader saw deficiency's

There would be some challenges to doing this but I have thought through efficient and cost effective ways that would allow you to offer the service for a nominal charge.

Interested in your feedback.

Thank you,
Richard Morton

Maybe a better descriptor instead of "stream" would be to record and provide a link for the customer to access
(04-22-2016, 10:04 PM)morty4185 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello

Wondering if you ever considered recording the grading process where the individual whose card(s) you are grading could see what the individual grading the card saw that led to the grade assigned?

Not that I don't trust the grading, would just like to better understand where the grader saw deficiency's

There would be some challenges to doing this but I have thought through efficient and cost effective ways that would allow you to offer the service for a nominal charge.

Interested in your feedback.

Thank you,
Richard Morton

Maybe a better descriptor instead of "stream" would be to record and provide a link for the customer to access
I doubt that Beckett would do that. If you want to know what the graders are looking for as far as defects in cards click on the "Grading" tab then click on "More" then click on "Grading scale" then it will show you what card defects the graders are looking for to determine the final grades of cards. Anyway hope this helps.
(04-22-2016, 11:33 PM)cowboy1501 Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt that Beckett would do that. If you want to know what the graders are looking for as far as defects in cards click on the "Grading" tab then click on "More" then click on "Grading scale" then it will Ishow you what card defects the graders are looking for to determine the final grades of cards. Anyway hope this helps.
I get what they are looking for, I just don't always see what they must be seeing as I typically examine a card with a loupe before sending it to be graded.

They can stream what they are seeing under a microscope and it would become much easier to accept a low score for the surface and edges.

Just an idea, definitely a good way to be transparent with the manner in which grades are assigned. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder if individuals spending significant money on grading tend to get a bit of help with the scores their cards receive.
(04-26-2016, 06:41 PM)morty4185 Wrote: [ -> ]I get what they are looking for, I just don't always see what they must be seeing as I typically examine a card with a loupe before sending it to be graded.

They can stream what they are seeing under a microscope and it would become much easier to accept a low score for the surface and edges.

Just an idea, definitely a good way to be transparent with the manner in which grades are assigned. I hope I'm wrong but I wonder if individuals spending significant money on grading tend to get a bit of help with the scores their cards receive.
I don't think that BGS / BVG is bias towards individuals who have submitted many cards to them in the past or present to be graded since I have submitted a grand total of only three cards to them (my 1981 Topps Joe Montana RC is currently being graded & should pop within the next couple of days) but the other two cards were:

2010 Topps Chrome Red Refractors Adrian Peterson which is serial numbered to only 25.

The sub grades are:

Centering: 8
Corners: 9
Edges: 9.5
Surface: 10

The overall grade for this card is 8.5 Near Mint to Mint +. I pulled this card out of a box I bought at my local Wal - Mart in 2012 which only proves that cards pulled directly out of packs aren't "Guaranteed" to be graded a BGS Mint 9 or a BGS Gem Mint 9.5. To be honest I knew the centering wasn't really all that good but I had it graded only because there was only 25 copies of that card ever made.

My second graded card is a 2012 Topps Andrew Luck (scrambling pose) short print RC.

The sub grades are:

Centering: 9.5
Corners: 9
Edges: 9.5
Surface: 10

This card got an overall grade of 9.5 Gem Mint. I actually bought the this card in raw condition on eBay for a mere $40.00 back in 2013 (at the time this card in raw condition had a high Beckett value of $60.00) based on the scans (the seller had multiple scans of the front, back, corners & edges) & considering the grade it got & with the raw Beckett high book value currently being $150.00 I made a heck of a deal.

If you're trying to get a high surface grade simply gently wipe your cards with a very soft & clean cloth to remove any specs of dust or fingerprints & none of the gloss (at least that's what I do anyway). Keep in mind that on all chrome & other shiny cards the surface sub grade by in large is considered be the "Deal breaker". Finally if there's any scratches on your cards surface there's nothing you can do. Here are pictures of the two cards by you'll have to click on each picture them to make them bigger.
Here's a nice video of a similar process. Don't believe any of the grading svcs would allow the actual process to ever be taped.

Generally i tell people to think of someone spending less than 30 seconds staring at the card you spent 3 weeks reviewing = and you'll understand why grading isn't a science -- its more of a "subjective" review that's open to interpretation. People make mistakes and as someone pointed out in another post when you have questions- just crack and resubmit. Grading isn't for everyone I like to say.

This is PSA's video - BGS works similar enough its valid for imagination purposes
I've always liked this video they made.

http://www.psacard.com/services/psagradingprocess

Jeff
Great feedback folks, thank you