Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Discuss: Remember when that card was worth little?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I have cleared out my Organize and am putting everything back in there, starting with my Pistons collection, I have skimmed past some cards and was surprised to see some of the ones I have. One of which was a Stephen Curry rookie card. Granted, it is just a base card. No autograph, no jersey, not numbered.

Anyways, with as well as he's been playing over the last two years, I thought that maybe it had gone up in price. Today, I decided to check. If my recollection is correct, it was a $3 rookie card when I pulled it, if that much. Today, it is worth $60. I was amazed.

It makes you wonder what rookie cards you might have that aren't worth much right now, but may blow up in the coming years. Do you have any cards that you witnessed go through a massive value explosion? Obviously, when Linsanity happened, Jeremy Lin's cards went through the roof. Do you have any other instances that you're aware of?

Please remember, do not state the specific card if you are going to put the book/Beckett values.
Yeah. I actually traded a Blake Griffin RC card here when it was valued at $50 (this was just before the beginning of the 2010-11 season. A few weeks later, the trader messages me apologizing for the value increasing to $350. That's just the nature of the hobby though - nothing we as collector's can do about it.
I bought a 1989 topps bo Jackson rc in a psa 10 for around 45 shipped, probably not even a year later the card value shot up to around 200+ if I'm not mistaken. I think it's gone down a little since then but still well above $45 lol. I should have bought two!
I do remember the Strasburg craziness that started with, I think, a graded refractor or two, but the ancillary cards are now closer to reality.

Another comment: I went to a show looking for PC RCs, and a very polite fellow had loads of basketball cards for sale on his table with just a handful representing other sports. I bought from him a Walter Payton RC for way under my price goal. I honestly had to walk away from his table, come back, and double check on the price. With a basketball focus, he may not have known what he had in that Payton. I promptly bought the card for my PC along with some basketball cards that I didn't really need but which I felt help made up the price difference on the Payton. I knew he was there to make money, and I wanted to help him out since he was unaware how much he helped me with my PC. Polite and helpful sellers are the only ones that get my business.
I recently noticed that same thing about Curry rookies. I have a bunch from 09-10 Upper Deck and Prestige that have been sitting in monster boxes that I need to pull out and list. Reminds me about my 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout rookies which made some significant jumps since I pulled a bunch.
(02-26-2016, 07:17 PM)taffster74 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. I actually traded a Blake Griffin RC card here when it was valued at $50 (this was just before the beginning of the 2010-11 season. A few weeks later, the trader messages me apologizing for the value increasing to $350. That's just the nature of the hobby though - nothing we as collector's can do about it.
Very thoughtful person to apologies. Good stuff.

The one that stands out to me is the Vince Carter craze in 2000. His 1998-99 SP Authentic in Gem Mint condition was selling as much as $4,000.00!!! Now I think it could be had for 60 bucks or so...

I don't think that Curry Topps "base" RC thing will last long. Should be a $30-60 card definitely a couple of years down the road, but that $200 price tag won't last very much longer. Even if they beat the Bulls 72-10 record, they still need to win the Championship again if you want to see an increase in the card, before it eventually comes down anyway. If they don't achieve both, then that card will fall even faster then I'm thinking.

It's impossible in an age of having so many choices as rookie cards, for an unnumbered card to keep climbing. Now for the good old days when there was just one rookie card, then I could understand. But not in an age of 15+++++++ RC's, WITH parallels. It's just a buzz thing that "magically" started, and people followed... then you smack that it'll probably be in the Beckett mag(if it hasn't already), and it'll be on the hot list and all that, so people will want to be part of the buzz, but it won't last. I've seen it for years.... Vince, Francis, D. Miles, the list goes on!

But it'll be very interesting to watch from the sidelines.
The hype machine temporarily drives up prices but only on a rare occasion do they stay high. Players like Steph Curry are a little different. They come in as good but no one expected him to turn into such a great player with such a great team. His stuff will level off and probably take a small drop when the next big hype comes or when his play drops off some.

I find the opposite, seems like most things have dropped in value. I am an old school guy who have been collecting since the 70's. I remember in the early 90's card boom where cards just exploded in price. Everyone from kids, adults, moms, dads, nans even pops collected cards. Supply and demand was high because there was so many people collecting. Inserts were being introduced and tough to pull odds and it was driving collectors crazy trying to find them. I would guess we have about 20% of the people collecting now compared to 90-95. We now also have the internet full of trading sites and sale sites like ebay where you can find most anything you want at anytime. Supply and opportunity is up while demand is down. I am buying cards for pennies on the dollar compared to years ago plus now I can find them....I love it Smile.