Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: question about grading conditions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been a long time member here; I'd like to think I know quite a bit about cards and especially vintage stuff.
How much is taken off on a grade for damage on the back? I have a 48 Leaf Robinson that would probably grade at 5 or 6 without the paper loss from peeled off tape on the back. Would it be worth sending in to be graded or will it make it too low of a grade and take away from how nice it looks? Not particularly looking to sell, but I am simply curious. Thanks for any input.
I submitted a 1938 Goudey DiMaggio to Beckett that was the single most beautiful ungraded '38 Goudey DiMaggio I had ever seen. Clean surface and back, 4 really nice corners and the edges were phenomenal. The only thing it had wrong with it was a very small spot of paper loss by the face like something had been stuck to it when it was in a stack of cards, left for a looooong time and then eventually separated. It ended up coming back a BVG 2. Any grading company deducts big time for paper loss.
paper loss is probably the worst thing that could happen to a card. bends and folds, corner dings are nothing compared to paper loss.
To the OP if you go to the sites of the three major graders PSA, BVG/BGS, & SGC and do a little digging each have a page or info showing exactly how their grading criteria stacks up. Hopefully this will help you a little further. I would say look into them and worst case scenario have it put it a non-grade authentic slab if it is for PC anyways.
Thanks a bunch, and that is sort of what I had figured. I think I will simply keep it as is; t's still a cool card.

(01-24-2016, 01:26 AM)the cardboard fan Wrote: [ -> ]To the OP if you go to the sites of the three major graders PSA, BVG/BGS, & SGC and do a little digging each have a page or info showing exactly how their grading criteria stacks up. Hopefully this will help you a little further. I would say look into them and worst case scenario have it put it a non-grade authentic slab if it is for PC anyways.