Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: RANT: Shipping increase...Thanks for the 27% increase!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well...eBay did it again. No more discounts for the single card, small ounce envelopes. What was $2.04 last week is now $2.60. (1-3oz)

$0.06 HIGHER than if you walked it into the postoffice! (1-3oz)

(Yes, if you ship heavier items, you start getting a discount)

but for someone to make $1 by selling $1 card...you would have to charge $3.65 (assuming the following is true in your case):
item $0.99
S/H $3.65
shipping $2.60
#000 env $0.07
toploader $0.08
ebay fee $0.46 (10%)
PP fee $0.43 (2.9+30c)

And don't even get me started on the Int'l PACKAGE shipping increase!! (upwards of 21%)!

Sorry guys. Time to raise shipping costs yet again!

What is everyone else raising costs to??
in my country shipping a small letter used to be 8 kroner,but starting january 1,it is 19 kroner.thats well over 200 percent increase.
The worst part is that eBay takes 10% percentage of the total price including shipping, even when you use their shipping tool. So now they are making even more off shipping than before. I understand that eBay started taking a percentage of the shipping costs because people were trying to be slick to avoid the eBay fees by putting items up for sale at $0.01 and then having a ridiculously high shipping fee. However now that they have the tie-in with the USPS it would be nice if they didn't take a percentage of the shipping costs. Makes me wonder if I should talk to a lawyer about a class action suit. After all eBay has TOS that say people can't charge excessive shipping costs, however they then take a cut of the actual shipping costs. I bet a good lawyer could get eBay to remove the fee from the shipping when using eBay's shipping tool, and might be able to get people some money back in the process (though most of the money goes to lawyers in a class action suit).
From a bigger economic picture......

Increase costs in anything involving transportation has been blamed on oil/gas prices for years. Now that oil is at rock bottom, the increases can only be chalked up to greed.
(01-20-2016, 12:48 PM)djohn Wrote: [ -> ]The worst part is that eBay takes 10% percentage of the total price including shipping, even when you use their shipping tool. So now they are making even more off shipping than before. I understand that eBay started taking a percentage of the shipping costs because people were trying to be slick to avoid the eBay fees by putting items up for sale at $0.01 and then having a ridiculously high shipping fee. However now that they have the tie-in with the USPS it would be nice if they didn't take a percentage of the shipping costs. Makes me wonder if I should talk to a lawyer about a class action suit. After all eBay has TOS that say people can't charge excessive shipping costs, however they then take a cut of the actual shipping costs. I bet a good lawyer could get eBay to remove the fee from the shipping when using eBay's shipping tool, and might be able to get people some money back in the process (though most of the money goes to lawyers in a class action suit).
I have wondered this for a while myself. I understand them taking a percentage off what the item sells for since this is considered our "profit." But with shipping we are only supposed to charge what we actually spend on shipping. So its not like we are gaining profit off shipping costs, or at least you shouldnt be. Maybe that is why they do it? They assume people make a small profit off shipping costs. But personally for me to even make a profit off shipping I would need to charge $3.50 for a single card to be shipped. Then at that point people will not like that price.
(01-20-2016, 05:18 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: [ -> ]From a bigger economic picture......

Increase costs in anything involving transportation has been blamed on oil/gas prices for years. Now that oil is at rock bottom, the increases can only be chalked up to greed.
Yes a company that is leaking billions every year is greedy...It's mostly the pension and health care costs and how Congress has required them to set aside the cash up front.
(01-20-2016, 06:32 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe that is why they do it? They assume people make a small profit off shipping costs.
That is exactly why they do it, however when someone uses the eBay automated shipping they know that is exactly how much it costs for shipping. So I don't think it's right for them to take a percentage out of that amount. Especially since the entire amount is going to the shipping cost.
(01-20-2016, 05:18 PM)jeremy7269 Wrote: [ -> ]From a bigger economic picture......

It takes ten years for oil to be turned into gas. Oil and gas prices have nothing factual to do with each other.
Just encountered this myself, thought something was wrong at first. Had items for $2.50 shipping so it actually cost me money to ship because the discount is gone.
(01-21-2016, 06:40 PM)bballkm32 Wrote: [ -> ]Just encountered this myself, thought something was wrong at first. Had items for $2.50 shipping so it actually cost me money to ship because the discount is gone.
Yup...all my auctions that just ended I had too low of shipping cost as well. Really sucks.
Increase in gas prices for reason of increase? Ya right USPS! $1.70 gas for me. Hey...maybe I'll open up a shipping company and deliver everyone's ebay packages...lol.

Pages: 1 2