Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Fakes on Ebay! Who should we look out for?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure what's going on here.... or maybe I'm just learning about this but just bought a Michael Jordan Rookie (87' Fleer) and it was a fake!

Seller claimed he was selling for a friend...

This is the 3rd fake in one month!! Wow! Is Ebay majority fakes now??

Anyone have any info on any sellers that I should look out for and avoid?

Pictures Attached.
................................................................................

Does anyone know if the 2000 playoff contenders tom brady rookie auto MUST HAVE the Playoff Stamp by the signature or not?

Just purchased a card on Ebay, and seller sent a different card without the stamp!

Attached is a picture of the card.

Thanks!
I would recommend only buying graded Jordan rookies. There are a ton of fakes out there. There are a few things to look for, but you would need to ask for up close scans of certain things on the card.
You need to be very careful when picking up Jordan Fleer RC's.
There are many threads here with detailed explanations on what to look for.

Check out this page

http://bbcemporium.com/1986-fleer-michea...eit-guide/

Best bet is to buy one that has been authenticated or graded by Beckett, PSA or other reputable 3rd party company.

I thought I heard awhile back eBay was only allowing sellers to sell graded Jordan RC's because of all the problems they have had in the past.

But even if they don't you can always return the card to the seller. Even if the seller doesn't want it back. He basically has no choice anymore. You file a claim to return the item. (any item) and the seller has to respond. If he doesn't eBay gets involved and basically forces a return. They are more loyal to buyers these days than sellers it seems like to me.
Caveat emptor.
Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, buy ungraded Jordan RC's

Sorry this happened, but it's always a lesson learned. Good luck on your hunt for an authentic one. Iconic card for sure.
(10-16-2015, 09:29 PM)briankort Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I heard awhile back eBay was only allowing sellers to sell graded Jordan RC's because of all the problems they have had in the past.

But even if they don't you can always return the card to the seller. Even if the seller doesn't want it back. He basically has no choice anymore. You file a claim to return the item. (any item) and the seller has to respond. If he doesn't eBay gets involved and basically forces a return. They are more loyal to buyers these days than sellers it seems like to me.
The Fleer Jordan is one of the cards eBay has on their list that must be authenticated. However, they also are unable to properly police that due to the sheer volume of items on the site.

This explanation of eBay's return policy is also correct. Even if the seller has a policy on file eBay ignores it and implements whatever policy they feel like having at the time. Sorry if I sound a little bitter but they allowed a buyer to fold an item in half and return it to me and forced me to refund him despite me following their policy that dictates the buyer must return it in the same condition it was shipped to them in. They also have recently started forcing sellers to pay return shipping despite it being eBay policy that the buyer pays for it.

To the OP,
if you (or anyone for that matter) want to buy an original, high dollar item such as the 86-87 fleer Jordan RC, I suggest you make a post here on the forums including the Ebay i.d. number before you pull the trigger, and ask for opinions of the authenticity of the card. Their are a few knowledgeable people around here that will do their best to help you out.
If you're buying a raw 1986-87 Fleer Jordan RC and/or a 1984-85 Star Jordan RC, you need to do so in-person and have a magnifying glass with a 4x magnification (or better) or a loupe with 10x or better.

I've bought about 11 Fleer Jordan RC's raw since April and haven't had any issues with them being fakes. It's easy to spot once you have had one in your hands. I'd also suggest having a digital caliper with you to make sure the card measures out to at least 2.5" wide x 3.5" tall as people will trim these cards to make them look better on the corners and/or the centering of the card.

With those two tools you should be able to buy with confidence 100% of the time.