Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: My Top 5 Sets of All-Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nice breakdown of the sets. I certainly can't argue with your opinion on the greatest sets. In my opinion though, it seems like you have skewed your list heavy towards the modern side. Nothing wrong with that if that is what you collect. I am surprised with your avatar though that you didn't include the 1961 Fleer set. IMO, it is in my top 5 for sure. I am not as into modern so that's probably where my bias leans toward. But you are talking about a set with RC's of Wilt, Baylor, Jerry West and Oscar Robertson! There are 66 total cards in the set and 44 different players (22 players in the set are repeated with in action cards). Of the 44 different base player cards there are 11 RC's of HOFers. That is 25% of the set! I also think the 84-85 Star set should be in any top 5. It has the true RC of MJ, Akeem, Barkley and Stockton. It also has a cool and colorful design.

Anyway, my top 5 in no particular order would include:
1986 Fleer, 1984 Star, 1961 Fleer, 1996 Topps Chrome (including Refractors) and 2003 Exquisite.

Hard to leave out the 57 with Bill Russell, Bob Cousy and Bob Petit RC's, but the design and grainy color leaves the set just on the outside looking in. It would definitely be #6 on my list though. I would be interested in reading more opinions on top 5 lists.

Pages: 1 2