Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 1984-85 Star - Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls - #101 - Rookie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well boys, there are those days when it is just your day and you fall ***** backwards into one of the rarest and most expensive Michael Jordan cards on the planet. Today was that day for me. I took a chance on a Craigslist ad that had no pictures or listing of what was in the lot, but had a feeling I should go and take a look at what they had. It basically was explained to me that these cards were her Dad's cards and he had passed away and they were wanting to get rid of all of them for $500. Naturally I figured it was all 80's and 90's garbage baseball cards and 99% of it was that. There were a 4 1956 Topps Baseball commons, 5 1955 Bowman Baseball commons, 1 1959 Topps Baseball common, and the nicest baseball card in there - a 1979 Topps - Ozzie Smith - San Diego Padres - #116 - Rookie. I paid $10 for all of those.

The real cherry was yet to come. The guy goes into the kitchen and pulls out a 1984-85 Star - Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls - #101 - Rookie card out and shows it to me and asks me if I'm interested. I did everything I could to put on the best poker face I had ever thrown out there. The case was beat to hell and scratched up, the card had some obvious wear on it, but this is a freaking STAR MICHAEL JORDAN ROOKIE. I naturally was a bit skeptical after learning how rare and counterfeited these cards are. I made sure the obvious things were legit about the card and it is in my estimation 100% legit. I made an initial low-ball offer on it to see if they'd bite, but no dice. It took a bit of negotiating on my part, but ole Benjamin Franklin talks pretty loudly and I took a gamble and paid $300 for it. I will be dropping it off at Beckett first thing Monday morning. Simply amazing.
$300 seems way too good to be true. I don't know how to spot a fake star Jordan but if you bought it for 300 I have my doubts. Either way, good luck and post the results when you get them!
Just curious, what were the obvious signs that it was real?
(04-11-2015, 05:40 PM)altz11 Wrote: [ -> ]$300 seems way too good to be true. I don't know how to spot a fake star Jordan but if you bought it for 300 I have my doubts. Either way, good luck and post the results when you get them!
Just curious, what were the obvious signs that it was real?
They were certainly pushing for more than $300.

They knew it was a rare card, but I beat them down on the condition and I think she was just ready to be out of them and get some cash. These were not people who knew how or what to do with the card and it wasn't listed in their posting.

Again, I was absolutely stunned when I saw it. I had purchased a 1984 Star - John Stockton yesterday that I knew was 100% legit and it matches up completely front and back.

I will definitely post up my results and hopefully they'll be good.
Looks ok against my BGS 9.5 Star Co Drexler from the same year
(04-11-2015, 10:24 PM)dale12 Wrote: [ -> ]Looks ok against my BGS 9.5 Star Co Drexler from the same year
It's not going to even be close to a 9.5

All four corners have some sort of minor wear on them, the left edge has some chipping/wear, and it is slightly off-centered.

I will be happy in the 5 or 6 range. A BGS 7 sold for $1,899.00 on February 5, 2015 on eBay so I'm thinking $1,200 to $1,400 if it hits at a 5 or 6.

Either way, I'm going to probably quadruple my investment.
I wasn't compairing grade =)
(04-12-2015, 05:37 PM)dale12 Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't compairing grade =)
Yeah, I already had a 1984 Star John Stockton to compare it to. Matches up 100% on all levels.
It seems to pass all of the major tests to me. I guess BGS will be the final judge.Smile
(04-12-2015, 10:42 PM)ifyoucanthinkofit Wrote: [ -> ]It seems to pass all of the major tests to me. I guess BGS will be the final judge.Smile

What are the signs of a star Jordan counterfeit?
(04-12-2015, 11:31 PM)altz11 Wrote: [ -> ]What are the signs of a star Jordan counterfeit?
From what I have read, the things you have to look for are:

1. Picture quality/focus - If it's out of focus or fuzzy, it's fake.

2. Color - Fakes are a completely different shade than the originals

3. Borders/Centering - Fakes tend to be perfectly centered

4. Paper/Surface - Fakes tend to have glossy finish and real is matte

That's all I know.

Again, I had already seen a 100% legit John Stockton so I already had a general idea of what to look for. I'll have the card back on Wednesday so I'll have an answer pretty quickly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4