Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Wow Topps Is Getting Creative!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have to admit Topps is getting pretty creative with their Lou Brock autograph cards. Check out the picture on the 2014 Tribute, 2014 Finest, and 2015 Tribute autograph cards of Lou Brock. They all have the same picture! I can see MAYBE using the same picture in two different products in the same year, but to keep using the same photo year after year is just stupid to me. There is one other pose that is on the 2014 Five Star auto that is used on other auto/relic cards of Brock in 2014/2015 as well. They want to pump out these products so damn fast so we can spend more of our hard earned money, but yet they can't take 10min of their time to dig up some new photos?
good catch
They do that quite a bit. Sometimes they spread the pic out over a few years as well. Usually it's with the hofers in the upper end base sets and relics. They've actually been doing it for decades. Take a look at a 1965 Topps Willie Mays and a 1968 Topps Willie Mays. Then take a look at the '66 (I think) and '69. They did it even earlier with the 1955 and 1956 painted images of every player in their sets. You know, the giant faces super imposed on those 2 sets?
(03-18-2015, 08:24 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: [ -> ]They do that quite a bit. Sometimes they spread the pic out over a few years as well. Usually it's with the hofers in the upper end base sets and relics. They've actually been doing it for decades. Take a look at a 1965 Topps Willie Mays and a 1968 Topps Willie Mays. Then take a look at the '66 (I think) and '69. They did it even earlier with the 1955 and 1956 painted images of every player in their sets. You know, the giant faces super imposed on those 2 sets?
Beat me to the punch! But, yeah, here's a 55 and 56 together. So it's definitely not new.
[Image: 20150316_204528_zpsam6pozkl.jpg]
^ that, Yastrzemski and the McCovey rc... 3 most underrated rc's ever.
(03-19-2015, 05:52 AM)Hofcollector Wrote: [ -> ]^ that, Yastrzemski and the McCovey rc... 3 most underrated rc's ever.
It's odd how some guys - despite having HoF careers - are just kind of overlooked.

Killebrew and McCovey I can understand to a point - Harmon because he played in a small market and McCovey because the spotlight went to Mays.

But Yaz blows my mind. For Boston alone I'd expect the value to be higher.
Sheeeet, they do that with new guys, too ... look how many times the "running to first with a pained look on his face" shot of Bryce Harper was used on his 2012 rookie cards, at least two that I know of.
(03-19-2015, 12:28 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: [ -> ]It's odd how some guys - despite having HoF careers - are just kind of overlooked.

Killebrew and McCovey I can understand to a point - Harmon because he played in a small market and McCovey because the spotlight went to Mays.

But Yaz blows my mind. For Boston alone I'd expect the value to be higher.
I'll give you the McCovey one. But you'd think collectors would realize how great some of these guys were over time. Most of us never got to see them play (unless we watch the archives), so numbers alone should validate them.
As far as the killer, he had more homeruns in the 60's than any other player. Take a look at the list some time. There is some impressive names on there. I think he had 137 more homeruns than Mantle. I know Mickey didn't play in '69, but that still gave him 88 more than Mantle in a 9 year span. Im only using Mick as an example because he's considered the greatest of his time by many (Mays is my guy). He led the league in HR's 6 times, hit 40 or more HR's 8 times and 39 once. He led the league in RBI 3 times, walks 4. The guy was a monster.
I gotta believe it's a licensing issue or something. Either way, rest assured, it comes down to the $$$
(03-19-2015, 10:39 PM)uvaspina Wrote: [ -> ]I gotta believe it's a licensing issue or something. Either way, rest assured, it comes down to the $$$
What do you mean?
Pages: 1 2