Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Rube Goldberg and the misadventure of disaster versus inventory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
for those you unfamiliar with what a rube goldberg machine is...

so today, im sitting on the couch with my boy, and the heat kicks in, and the radiators turhn on. the pipes shook mightily inside the walls, which shook a painting on the wall right off the wall. it fell on my desk onto the very end of two 600 count boxes: 1, full of the majority of my inventory worth between 25 and 100 dollars. the second, my jordans, worth between 6 and 15 each. both boxes were catapulted (the picture weighs about 30-35 pounds) around 10 feet away to the coffee table. where there was, appropriately, coffee. the boxes hit the two cups off coffee, spiraling them upwards into the air, as the boxes flew open, and the cards were also dispersed upwards into the air

some, thankfully, since they were in toploaders, were spared coffee damage and somehow, impact damage

but overall, i lost 5800 dollars of book value. i doubt it will be covered even by my insurance (it's not really flood. earthquake maybe?)

im trying to be in good spirits about all this...it was absolutely absurd. but damn
I'm sorry for your loss. I thought that kind of thing only happens to me. I can be such a klutz at times. Hope your insurance will cover it.
Sorry to hear that. What kind of old radiator is that? I hope insurance covers part of it.
(03-14-2015, 06:20 PM)natejeffries Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to hear that. What kind of old radiator is that? I hope insurance covers part of it.
their the big wall units, not baseboards (old house, built in the 30's or 40's). we converted from oil to gas last year, and it still gets the shakes from time to time (sounds like someone is hitting it with a hammer)

im not even sure how to really explain it to my insurance company in a way that doesnt sound like 1. im joking 2. im not high 3. that insures that i actually get some money.

the only good news is that i have a specific policy regarding my inventory
That sucks man. Sorry to hear about your cards and good luck.
ive always had the "no drinks around the cards" rule. i now have a "no drinks within a country mile in case something really freaking bizarre happens" rule
That totally sucks, man. I was hoping for something amusing with the Rube Goldberg reference and very saddened to hear how it all went down. It seems like it was the unimaginably perfect alignment for maximum carnage. The only good thing is at least the picture didn't fall and hit Sawyer. It's terrible that so many valuable cards got damaged (and thankfully you have a policy) but Your child getting injured could have been tragic.

I Hope it gets covered, my friend. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
(03-15-2015, 12:12 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: [ -> ]That totally sucks, man. I was hoping for something amusing with the Rube Goldberg reference and very saddened to hear how it all went down. It seems like it was the unimaginably perfect alignment for maximum carnage. The only good thing is at least the picture didn't fall and hit Sawyer. It's terrible that so many valuable cards got damaged (and thankfully you have a policy) but Your child getting injured could have been tragic.

I Hope it gets covered, my friend. Good luck and don't beat yourself up.
jeez, i didnt even think abut it that way...now im gonna be paranoid

**takes all pictures off the walls**
(03-15-2015, 09:28 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: [ -> ]jeez, i didnt even think abut it that way...now im gonna be paranoid
**takes all pictures off the walls**
Nah! No need for paranoia to set in and sorry to worry you. It's just the way I think.

Just make sure you're using the appropriate hook for the weight of the picture and frame. Not saying you did or didn't, but most people don't pay much attention to that and they hang a 40 lb. frame on a 10 lb.rated hook ... Or worse, a nail.

While at it, babyproofing the house now is a good indoor winter activity Smile electric recepticals, furniture wall anchors, Cabinet door hooks and baby gates prevent a lot of potential problems.
Pages: 1 2