Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Registry vs. PSA Registry??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I only collect BGS/BVG graded cards so I have no experience with PSA or their famous registry which seems to be a selling point for their service.

That said, I have a question for anyone with any experience with a PSA registry. Do they have the same issues as Beckett when it comes to invalid serial numbers? This is one of those things that baffles me. I just bought a BGS graded card, I can go into graded card look up and type in the serial number and it comes up just fine....there it is. However, when I go to add this to my registry I get the message "invalid serial number". This really is annoying because it seems to happen more often than it should. I eventually can get it fixed but it just shouldn't happen to begin with...if it is recognized in the graded card lookup it should never show as an invalid serial number....IMHO.

I'm no expert, but I've had that message show up when I try to add a card to my registry that doesn't fit the registry settings (i.e. wrong set, or player).
(02-17-2015, 10:29 AM)KPRROK Wrote: [ -> ]I'm no expert, but I've had that message show up when I try to add a card to my registry that doesn't fit the registry settings (i.e. wrong set, or player).
It also shows up for cards that aren't in the Database. ie. specialty cards, the Old Labeled vintage cards, etc.
In my case, it's a 1989 Score Tim Brown RC.....not obscure by any means and I created a new master registry so there "should be" no issues...

So no comments regarding what PSA may be like huh.....OK thanks
(02-17-2015, 04:07 PM)dmasci Wrote: [ -> ]In my case, it's a 1989 Score Tim Brown RC.....not obscure by any means and I created a new master registry so there "should be" no issues...
For one reason or another, some cards just don't load into the Database. And sometimes, it's batches of cards.
To answer your question, very rarely from what I could see. PSA easily has the best registry among the tpgs. They know this and keep it running in top shape. Becket's registry problems are unacceptable and proves they don't put much emphasis on it.
(02-22-2015, 02:05 PM)scottishpunk Wrote: [ -> ]To answer your question, very rarely from what I could see. PSA easily has the best registry among the tpgs. They know this and keep it running in top shape. Becket's registry problems are unacceptable and proves they don't put much emphasis on it.
Thanks Scott,

That's all I was asking since I've had no experience with PSA
I do have another question regarding Beckett registries that perhaps someone can help me with. I don't know if it's the design or if it's me not knowing what I'm doing.

I have created several registries and one of them was a Jim Brown card registry that I initially created as a basic registry vs. a master registry. My reason for this was that I only really was interested in his actual vintage cards from 1958-1966, as opposed to all the silly inserts and auto. that are in every set it seems.

Anyway, all was fine until I tried to add a couple cards to the registry. One was his 1960 Topps card and the other was his 1961 Fleer card. Both of these could not be added because they were not considered "regular" issues. What????

So I had to scrap the registry and re-do it as a master registry to add the cards. I know that both cards were part of regular issue sets, if fact the 1960 may have been the only set that year so is it my or another quirk of Beckett Registries?

Thanks
The PSA registry tweaks are easier because its merely a matter of requesting to add a line item in. A simple add in request can be made and weeks later voila the line item gets added ( sometimes mere days). The only tie in they need to worry about is a simple link to selling.

Over here it involves links that tie in with pricing databases, marketplace, and trade functions. A lot more complicated and a lot more headaches involved.

BGS Registry has its own set of issues and they all go back to ownership. When the focus is elsewhere in a large company you get what you've seen the last 4 years- little to no improvement.

The example brought up (cards in regular issues not appearing on a basic registry) is a classic example already found during the initial testing phase and pointed out to them a long time ago. The basic fix is still not completed years later.

In the words of many- "completely unacceptable".

The why's are not complicated. The BGS fixes require time & programming staff. As BGS is part of a larger company their place in the programming line moves based on the value the registry fixes are worth. Currently its not been a priority to fix the registry issue(s) as you've probably noticed. To current ownership it was more important to get Beckett Auction software up and that part of the business running, then after that to get the coin database started since the current owner specializes in coins. If & when they completed those = back comes the focus again on fixing the BGS registry.

This isn't to say the BGS staff doesn't want the registry issues fixed. On the contrary = I know they'd like nothing better. They just wait in line like everyone else for their programming time to come to be the focus. We just haven't seen that focus become more involved yet.

I keep people appraised over on the registry forums when I see changes happen. Look over there as they fix the issues. Nothings been completed lately so no updates in a while.

Hope this answers some basic questions you have and provides some insight into the issues surrounding what your viewing.

jeff
(02-24-2015, 08:45 PM)jeffv96masters Wrote: [ -> ] The PSA registry tweaks are easier because its merely a matter of requesting to add a line item in. A simple add in request can be made and weeks later voila the line item gets added ( sometimes mere days). The only tie in they need to worry about is a simple link to selling.

Over here it involves links that tie in with pricing databases, marketplace, and trade functions. A lot more complicated and a lot more headaches involved.

BGS Registry has its own set of issues and they all go back to ownership. When the focus is elsewhere in a large company you get what you've seen the last 4 years- little to no improvement.

The example brought up (cards in regular issues not appearing on a basic registry) is a classic example already found during the initial testing phase and pointed out to them a long time ago. The basic fix is still not completed years later.

In the words of many- "completely unacceptable".

The why's are not complicated. The BGS fixes require time & programming staff. As BGS is part of a larger company their place in the programming line moves based on the value the registry fixes are worth. Currently its not been a priority to fix the registry issue(s) as you've probably noticed. To current ownership it was more important to get Beckett Auction software up and that part of the business running, then after that to get the coin database started since the current owner specializes in coins. If & when they completed those = back comes the focus again on fixing the BGS registry.

This isn't to say the BGS staff doesn't want the registry issues fixed. On the contrary = I know they'd like nothing better. They just wait in line like everyone else for their programming time to come to be the focus. We just haven't seen that focus become more involved yet.

I keep people appraised over on the registry forums when I see changes happen. Look over there as they fix the issues. Nothings been completed lately so no updates in a while.

Hope this answers some basic questions you have and provides some insight into the issues surrounding what your viewing.

jeff
Jeff,

Thanks for that in-depth explanation.
I second the thanks for the info. Always nice to get some insight on the subject. Too bad, you are the only one willing to do it. So if I am reading you correctly, don't expect any movement within the registry for at least the next 3-4 years. That is assuming Auction and Coin software are on time and working great, no new projects are introduced, AND the focus is approved to go back into the registry.

Sigh, I really couldn't give a hoot about Beckett Auctions (I think it sets a worse conflict of interest than they already have with grading) or Coins.
Pages: 1 2