Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Topps Fire accidental purchase
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I probably heard a couple laughs when reading the subject Smile Let me explain, the purchase of Topps fire was intentional, but how I got what I got was not...

So, my girlfriend and I had childbirthing class yesterday, which went well. We didn't think we would get to it, as her blood pressure was high on Thursday and the doctor sent us to the hospital and they told us that had the BP not gone down the last time it was checked, they would have induced her. So, anyhow, we did the class yesterday, and with this whole back and forth and both of us having a feeling that this is going to be happening on Monday (her blood pressure is back up) when we go to the doc, I went to Target to get some stuff we needed at the house like cat litter and cat food. Since I always buy cards when I'm anxious/stressed...any feeling other than broke.... I went to the card section and picked up what I thought was a blaster of Fire. Went to the checkout, the lady checked me out, and I came home.

Opened the box of cards up, and then opened all of the packs. I was doing a couple other things at the time, so I didn't notice that there were too many packs for a normal blaster. Turns out that I had grabbed an unopened pack box that normally gets pack searched. Once I realized this, I thought about how much I was charged at Target, and realized that they couldn't have charged me for 24 3 dollar packs... Sure enough, the register operator saw the "2.99" on the side of the box and only charged me 2.99 for it. Suffice to say, I'll be heading back to Target today and explaining the situation and paying for the other packs. Considering I had been expecting a blaster, that's not quite what I was wanting to pay, but whatever.

Anyhow, I can say that buying those specific packs probably aren't worth 3 bucks a pack. Now, you can probably say that about ANY product, hobby or retail, but while this had quite a few inserts, there isn't really much to it. Here's what I got:

Base set minus 9 cards plus 8 doubles
24 Flame foil parallels (1 of those was a double)
5 Out of this World rookie inserts
2 Forged by Fire die cuts
2 Competitive Fire cards (one decent one, one meh)
1 auto
4 #d cards (these were actually decent)

So, if you want *most* of the base set, this would be the way to do it. I've not seen a product in the past several years that netted 91% of the base set in one box. Seriously, I've purchased some boxes where a quarter of the box had doubles and triples, and was missing half the set!

Anyhow, so the foils I got were:
Kaep, 2x Vernon Davis, Elway, McCoy, P. Rivers, Russell Wilson, RGIII, A. Morris, Cutler, E. Thomas, M. Ryan, L. Bell, P. Richardson, Beckham, B. Ellington, Seferian-Jenkins, M. Lee, Moncrief, Hurns, Sankey, K. Benjamin, D. Fales, and J. Huff

Out of this World: Carlos Hyde, Teddy Bridgewater, Manziel, Jeremy Hill, and Cody Latimer

Forged by Fire: Derek Carr and Terrance West

Competitive Fire: Elway & Manning and Matt Ryan & Julio Jones

Auto: Terrance West

#d: Eddie Lacy /499, Andrew Luck /499, Tom Brady /299, Jadeveon Clowney /50

I do have to say I *like* the set. It's different, and really reminds me of a lot of sets from the 90s that I really liked getting back then. Fun parallels, very creative and artistic design, and the auto doesn't look too bad with a sticker even!

Will hopefully get some scans of them today if I have time. Everything is FT except the Packers stuff of course. If you want any of the base to do the set, let me know and I'll add them to my Org.
Very cool story, and I hope that all is well for your lady and yourself. Congrats on the new baby (to be) and I know that they will bring you a lot of joy! Also, kudos to you for noticing the wrong purchase and heading back to do the right thing. I have never been in the situation myself, but I would do the very same.

I am interested in any Calvin Johnson, Matt Stafford, Teddy Bridgewater, and Cordarrelle Patterson that you have.

Randi
(02-08-2015, 08:55 AM)rayeates Wrote: [ -> ]Very cool story, and I hope that all is well for your lady and yourself. Congrats on the new baby (to be) and I know that they will bring you a lot of joy! Also, kudos to you for noticing the wrong purchase and heading back to do the right thing. I have never been in the situation myself, but I would do the very same.
My sentiments also!

As for the results, you did very nice for yourself with the #/ cards. I was part of a case break and didn't much in the way of serial numbered cards. Aside from the 4 hits per box, the hobby product looks worse than the retail similar to what chrome was this year.
Thanks guys. The lady at Target's customer service desk was surprised that I even came back. She said most people would have just left it. I don't know, I don't like when people intentionally rip others off, and how could I get upset at others if I had something like this happen and not take care of it? I just wouldn't feel right knowing that I'd be contributing to the reason why a lot of stores don't carry cards anymore... Anyhow, yeah, it was an ok break, but lesson learned, definitely not worth 76 bucks. Back to singles Smile
Haha, oops...hope all is well!
OP, just sent you a PM...let me know.
Good lord, what is the deal with Terrance West?

I have pulled three "hits" this year out of Panini and Topps blasters ... a Terrance West jersey, a Terrance West auto and a redemption for a Terrance West auto patch.

I mean, he was OK, but man, mix it up!
(02-10-2015, 06:24 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: [ -> ]Good lord, what is the deal with Terrance West?

I have pulled three "hits" this year out of Panini and Topps blasters ... a Terrance West jersey, a Terrance West auto and a redemption for a Terrance West auto patch.

I mean, he was OK, but man, mix it up!
I know, right? Smile Though I'm about to post another Fire break, and I definitely didn't get a West card in it Smile