Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 98-99 Hoops starting 5 jordan...$2,700???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This card in a BGS 9 just sold on Ebay for $2,698.73 (including shipping).
I track Jordan cards and have never seen this card sold before, but was shocked at the winning bid. I have a hard time believing it's a 2700 dollar card.
Anyone know odds of pulling this card, or overall rarity? Does anyone have any pricing info on a bgs 9? Is this an accurate price for the card or could the auction have been shilled?

The funny thing is when the card came up for auction I saved it in my watch list actually thinking I was going to bid on it. Little did I know...
It doesn't surprise me at all, the Starting Five cards from 1998-99 Hoops are a parallel of the base set. The cards are extremely limited as they only made 5 of each. So the price of over $2k is inline with other rare 90s Jordan cards (and quite possibly even a little low). I think that the fact that the cards are so rarely seen or talked about is what kept it from going higher.
I did a little research and read some stuff on other forums and realized it is a rarely seen card. I actually thought the /5 meant that there were 5 cards in that particular set, like five different players lol. So yeah, I guess if they only made 5 of these then that would catapult the rare and cool factor and increase the price.

As for the aesthetics of the card, it's not the greatest. I've seen much cooler looking parallels and inserts such as most "raves", net ragious, triumvirate, linchpins, and the list could go on.

A cool card nonetheless!
(12-03-2014, 03:54 PM)altz11 Wrote: [ -> ]I did a little research and read some stuff on other forums and realized it is a rarely seen card. I actually thought the /5 meant that there were 5 cards in that particular set, like five different players lol. So yeah, I guess if they only made 5 of these then that would catapult the rare and cool factor and increase the price.

As for the aesthetics of the card, it's not the greatest. I've seen much cooler looking parallels and inserts such as most "raves", net ragious, triumvirate, linchpins, and the list could go on.

A cool card nonetheless!
I thought the same exact thing when I saw it. At first I didnt even know why it was considered a parallel. I didnt even notice the "Starting Five" Stamp on the card. All I saw was the somewhat cool Hoops base and instantly asked why it was so spendy. As a Jordan collector, I like rare cards (and yes this is rare) but I like cards to be pretty too. This card is rather boring. For $2700, I cant even begin to list the cards I would much rather have than this.
(12-03-2014, 04:36 PM)nickm1123 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the same exact thing when I saw it. At first I didnt even know why it was considered a parallel. I didnt even notice the "Starting Five" Stamp on the card. All I saw was the somewhat cool Hoops base and instantly asked why it was so spendy. As a Jordan collector, I like rare cards (and yes this is rare) but I like cards to be pretty too. This card is rather boring. For $2700, I cant even begin to list the cards I would much rather have than this.
I have to wonder a few things with the simple foil stamping:
1) Has anyone faked them? I think this is doubtful as it would be easy to spot multiple with the same serial number and only 5 different ones you could make.
2) How many of these parallels are sitting in commons bins, since they could very easily be overlooked? I would imagine quite a few of the non-star players were overlooked, but not sure anyone would throw Jordan in a common box. However it could still end up in a dollar bin pretty easily.
yeah it's a terribly boring card that's also terribly rare. I thought it went a touch low if anything to be honest. I could see $3-$4k for that card pretty easily.
there's actually a thread on another site (not sure what site , but someone linked to the thread earlier today) warning that this card is actually a counterfeit copy......
Didn't see the card, but there are 100% fakes of them out there....

Which bring it into question....

I wouldn't buy one without knowing 100% it's real.
(12-04-2014, 01:21 AM)hegotgame1515 Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't see the card, but there are 100% fakes of them out there....

Which bring it into question....

I wouldn't buy one without knowing 100% it's real.
How do you know anymore if a card is real or not? Especially with Beckett grading them. This goes back to your thread of the alleged counterfeit cards from overseas that Beckett was grading 9.5s.
I don't understand Jordan prices haha. Some of his first autos go for insane prices and I don't think they look that great. Better looking stuff out there and a lot cheaper haha.
Pages: 1 2