Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 300 Mil for Stanton?!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
the marlins make NO money. they dont get fans into that stadium. they get far more money from revenue sharing than what they make

they simply cannot afford to give one player 25-30 million a year. they are the worst market in major league baseball

ask the ranger (pre-tv deal) how that arod contract worked for them
The Marlins are making money and their fan base is growing by leaps and bounds. Because of Stanton and the other younger, up and coming stars. When's the last time you watched a Marlins game? I watched just about everyone and there stadium was packed last year. It is a growing market. These owners fall out of bed and make money so to suggest they make none is ridiculous. Just the amount of exposure they got from Stanton this year translated to tens of millions. And by the way, the talks are now up to 12 years for $320 million.
baseball attendance was down 2.9% in 2013. the marlins were responsible for 40% of that decline. lat year, they averaged only 1200 more ticket sales than 2013 per game (ticket sales doesnt equal attendance.)

they could have mickey mantle rise from the dead, and people wouldnt go

they have, and have always been, the worst attended stadium - old or new. their ticket sales have consistently been bottom 5 (actual attendance and ticket sales are different, as any red sox fan can tell you who mocked the supposed sellout streak)

I think Stanton is a future New York Yankee.
(11-14-2014, 11:36 AM)zeprock Wrote: [ -> ]I think Stanton is a future New York Yankee.
not sure of that given timing of contract versus yanks salaries committed versus teams coming up with new tv contracts
The Rays have had better teams with great talent and no one goes to their games either. The Dolphins are another team doing really well BUT no one goes to see them either. Florida is only about college football and basketball.
In 2012 Forbes evaluation of the Marlins had them worth $500 million (27th), which was a 16% gain from 2011. They had a revenue of $159 million. In 2013 Forbes has them worth $595 million (25th). Their team revenue jumped to $200 million (22nd) and they were 4th with a net gain of $32 million. They have a tax payer funded stadium and an additional $26 million in t.v. revenue in 2014. I'm no CEO, but those numbers look good. What do you suppose the evaluation is going to look like for 2014 with all of that attention drawn by Fernandez and Stanton? That is a growing franchise and a legitimate contender in the east. And the teams they are currently worth more?
26 Oakland
27 Colorado
28 Cleveland
29 Kansas City
30 Tampa Bay
A couple of those teams did okay this year.
The proposed contract is in line with Stanton's market value; whether or not it makes sense for the Marlins to be the team that pays him market value is another issue entirely, but if the Marlins don't give it to him someone else gladly would. Fangraphs has written a couple good articles about this recently. Here's one: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagrap...o-stanton/. But in a world where Cano can get $200 mil, Stanton getting $300 mil makes sense.

As for the arguement that nobody is worth that kind of money, sure maybe not. But based on the crazy revenues that baseball is generating now, a contract like this is what the market dictates.
Thats a good point about marketing value but Robinson Cano atleast averaged a .300 BA with 20ish HR's. Stanton is a career .270 and lets not forget he's only a year removed from a .249 year. I know he's still young with room to improve but if he deserves 300 million then Trout deserves this....

[Image: drevil_zpsb94b094b.jpeg]

Couldn't help to throw that joke in here. I know clubs are making money more now than ever but if I were an owner sure I'd love to have him on my team but thats too much and I would rather take on 3 100 million salaries from guys who can produce. Not to mention Stanton could tear it up during the season but if he flakes out during the playoffs then he wouldn't be worth it and then who do you rely on? I know he would put fans in the stands but my goal is to win a championship and if I can bring in guys that will get me there than money will take care of itself.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Now your saying your MVP isnt worth his contract because he sucks in the playoffs. Repeatedly. For multiple years. I do agree that thats what the market bares and that it should be relative to what the owners make. Their making hand over fist, so shouldn't the players. Also agree on Cano. The guy has been a top five player for years. He deserves the cash.
BTW, love the Austin Powers reference. And while I'm glad Trout won, he didn't deserve it. Statistically his worst year and had more strikeouts than hits.
Pages: 1 2 3