Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: 2014 Topps Hobby and Jumbo box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: DAIZa7E.jpg]

Update: Regular 36 pack hobby box opened. Absolutely horrendous product in my opinion. All the insert cards are plain as day and look worse then the base cards. Not to mention 25% of the insert cards are Play60 kids/mentors. So I guess 15 years down the road if one of these kids is a huge NFL star you might have something cool. But man, inserts have zero foil or eye candy at all. There is even a insert set called greatness unleashed that look exactly like Topps Inception base, with absolutely no foil on them. Thought hey cool first product with rookies in actual jerseys, but its a mix and match between jerseys and combine/pro day it seems. And if they are in jersey they all seem to be wearing #10 from what I have seen. I would absolutely stay away from the 36 pack hobby boxes. Not sure how Topps let this product come out like this. It is really, really, REALLY bad so far.

Got 4-5 vet golds #'d/2014
And a redish vet one #'d/499
And a jersey patch card for the 1 hit.

Jumbo opened. Light years better compared to the hobby box.

Couple golds #'d/2014( one was a Fiedorowicz rookie, a plus for me as I am a Iowa boy)
A red #'d/499
A black Patriots team card with Brady on the front #'d/59
Derek Carr jersey patch not numbered
Jordan Lynch Rookie Auto not numbered
Some random guy I never heard of drafted in 2007 Auto not numbered

If you buy a box of hobby for this release, please for sake a mankind, spend the extra money on the Jumbo. You get 3 hits garuanteed opposed to 1. The hobby was $59.99 and the jumbo was $104.99.

Hobby box picture:
[Image: U2CDgM3.jpg]

Jumbo box picture:

[Image: QgaKgcW.jpg]
Ever since they started with the HTA jumbo boxes I get one of those every year. The regular hobby boxes are terrible. Your review of the actual cards is not that promising. Maybe Topps is just phoning it in. I know this is moot considering they won't have a license in 2016, but I'm a little surprised they haven't just scrapped the basic Topps product and made Topps Chrome their "base" product. I'll still get a jumbo box this year because I do every year, but that will probably be it.

Hopefully you have a better experience with the jumbo.
Yea, jumbo is always the way to go!

Although, when I hear about big hits out of Topps, they come from hobby.
Well, I think they are pretty nice, considering they aren't high end. The lack of foil sets this set apart from the over foiled Panini products recently. The regular Topps set has always kind of been the normal card stock card. Look at 2008 or 2005 (Jordy Nelson and Aaron Rodger's rookie years). Same type of card stock, though this years the cards seem better quality and thicker.

Though, the hit in the hobby box is a jersey card? ouch. talk about not getting a return on your money! 60 bucks for the box, 6 dollar jersey card for the "hit".
Yea....those are what the inserts look like.... they base cards look way better than the inserts.

Cant tell if the Pats card is black or platinum, there's a version for each, the lettering is rainbow looking foil and borders black. Shrug. Lettering on the gold ones is gold, with gold border.

Edit It's a black looking at other cards up on eBay.
Yeah, Jumbo is definitely the way to go. And you got a Manning short print...easily the best card in the box, I'd say!
How do you know which one is a SP? ones a All Pro #33 and other is MVP #174
i don't know that either one is a SP..they are just as you said..one is all-pro the other is mvp
Greg Olsen is actually a pretty good tight end. Unfortunately, tight end cards tend to have almost no card value relative to their value as players. Still, getting an actual established good player is better than getting an undrafted guy who never plays in a regular season NFL game in my opinion

Will probably still get a jumbo box, but this looks much worse than base Topps has been previously. Doesn't look good at all.
Just bought 2 14.99 hangers at walmart (rookie relic guaranteed) and got marquise lee and kelvin benjamin relic cards a arian foster photo variation and a ha ha clinton-dix pink /399
for 14.99 these are a better value than a regular hobby box imo. also grabbed 2 rack pack and pulled a derek carr relic card and a odell beckham pink /399.
(08-20-2014, 03:29 PM)tenaciouzd Wrote: [ -> ]How do you know which one is a SP? ones a All Pro #33 and other is MVP #174
the SP variations have a serial number on back that ends in 51. The regs have a serial number that ends in 22
Pages: 1 2