Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Lowering of grading standards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been following BGS/BVG grading on hockey cards for more than a decade and this example below has to be the worst grading I have ever seen performed by BVG. Any idea what could've happened here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-81-Mark-Mes...3ce44d433e

Despite the modest resolution of the pictures, there appears to be 2 soft corners, one round corner and major off-centering. Not sure how that can result in a grade of 8.

-L

P.S. The seller start price is significantly lower than the average start price for that card at that grade, as if even the seller recognizes that the card is way over-graded...
(07-11-2014, 12:36 AM)lrl7 Wrote: [ -> ]I have been following BGS/BVG grading on hockey cards for more than a decade and this example below has to be the worst grading I have ever seen performed by BVG. Any idea what could've happened here?

Despite the modest resolution of the pictures, there appears to be 2 soft corners, one round corner and major off-centering. Not sure how that can result in a grade of 8.

-L

P.S. The seller start price is significantly lower than the average start price for that card at that grade, as if even the seller recognizes that the card is way over-graded...

While the seller did their absolute best to obscure the outside of that card with convenient crops= a look at the right side shows enough snow for me to ski on.

The slabs been cracked and resealed as far as I'm concerned. Sellers feedback is another telltale sign intended to prevent people from discovering who they are prior to purchase.

Any idiot stupid enough to bid deserves what they get. One look is all I need to steer clear.

Jeff

(07-11-2014, 12:36 AM)lrl7 Wrote: [ -> ]I have been following BGS/BVG grading on hockey cards for more than a decade and this example below has to be the worst grading I have ever seen performed by BVG. Any idea what could've happened here?

-L

The seller says, "Great looking card!" LoLoLoLoLoL! An 8 should NEVER have crooked centering and the corners look as though this card belonged to an 8 year old...maybe thats why they graded it an 8! I love how he even took the picture crooked to maybe throw off the really dumb ones...lol Yeah, I agree, tampered case sale and if you bid on that Id like to show you my T206 Honus Wagner graded BGS 10! Seller has one sale and claims to be a shop with that kind of a name...lolol The worst part about it all is that these people that crack cases and reseal em usually get the card regraded and that fudges up the numbers for the pop counts...LOWLIFES!
(07-11-2014, 09:43 AM)jeffv96masters Wrote: [ -> ] While the seller did their absolute best to obscure the outside of that card with convenient crops= a look at the right side shows enough snow for me to ski on.

The slabs been cracked and resealed as far as I'm concerned. Sellers feedback is another telltale sign intended to prevent people from discovering who they are prior to purchase.

Any idiot stupid enough to bid deserves what they get. One look is all I need to steer clear.

Jeff
Thank you very much for taking the time to clarfiy this. It's unfortunate that some sellers are messing with BGS slabs.
-L