Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Ebay question for anyone...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I bought a red Auerbach 2009 prominent cuts auto...the seller shipped it taped in cardboard inside the envelope but did not tape the top loader...needless to say it arrived with a small crease and some chipping...I still want the card and said I'd take a partial refund...I opened a case and he closed it in minutes saying to mail it back for a full refund...but I don't think that's right if he neglected to package it properly?
Most likely the seller wants it back to resell it. That happened to me recently. I received the card and if was damaged. A couple days later the same card was listed.
There is no need to tape a toploader if you have plastic sleeves for said toploader. This is what I hate the most about eBay. Like the mother who goes crazy in the movie "Mommie Dearest" about wire hangers? Thats how I feel when I see all forms of tape on a toploader. It just ruins the toploader forever.
My point is if there was something on the top load the card wouldn't have come out, even a team bag would have been fine...that is a no brainier. So what if the top load is ruined, there $3 for 25. I reuse the ones I get for trades anyways.
He probably just assumes it's a scam to get money back. Obviously that is not the case, but sadly that is a somewhat common practice on ebay. I don't think you'll have any option but to take the full refund, or keep the damaged card at full price. Good luck hopefully it works out for you.

(06-18-2014, 07:20 PM)vgqv Wrote: [ -> ]There is no need to tape a toploader if you have plastic sleeves for said toploader. This is what I hate the most about eBay. Like the mother who goes crazy in the movie "Mommie Dearest" about wire hangers? Thats how I feel when I see all forms of tape on a toploader. It just ruins the toploader forever.

This annoys the hell out of me too! While it's still a hassle, I did find something to save top loaders/One touches with the sticky tape residue.

[Image: 14452276651_a5f905e7c3_n.jpg]
as a seller on ebay, i prefer to get a card back. unfortunately, there are too many buyers out there that scam sellers for partial money back. and it's really NOT an option with ebay. in fact, if a buyer requests it, a seller can actually report the buyer.

now, i'm not saying that it's not a good practice to do partial refunds, but here's a question for the buyer...did the seller OFFER a partial refund or did you just come right out and say, "it's damaged, i still want the card, can i get a partial refund?" if the seller offered it, then not a problem. if you as the buyer, however, just came out and asked for it, it does sound suspicious. if you came out with, "i received the card, it slid out of the top loader during transport, and it seems damaged, what are my options on a refund?" and then add a scan of the damage...then as a seller, i'd think about it, offer you a partial or a full refund.

the seller--buyer dynamic works both ways, especially if the seller is not a big time dealer but someone who is just trying to get rid of excess stock or make something back from a bust.
I asked him about options and I tried to open a claim with usps but it is not eligible because the seller mailed regular and didn't have the included $50 insurance. I'm not a scammer buy any means, and I don't think anyone is implying that but I may just return the card and buy another cut sig that's already slabbed by BGS
(06-18-2014, 11:39 PM)kstjst Wrote: [ -> ]as a seller on ebay, i prefer to get a card back. unfortunately, there are too many buyers out there that scam sellers for partial money back. and it's really NOT an option with ebay. in fact, if a buyer requests it, a seller can actually report the buyer.

now, i'm not saying that it's not a good practice to do partial refunds, but here's a question for the buyer...did the seller OFFER a partial refund or did you just come right out and say, "it's damaged, i still want the card, can i get a partial refund?" if the seller offered it, then not a problem. if you as the buyer, however, just came out and asked for it, it does sound suspicious. if you came out with, "i received the card, it slid out of the top loader during transport, and it seems damaged, what are my options on a refund?" and then add a scan of the damage...then as a seller, i'd think about it, offer you a partial or a full refund.

the seller--buyer dynamic works both ways, especially if the seller is not a big time dealer but someone who is just trying to get rid of excess stock or make something back from a bust.
This is a great explanation, kstjst. Thanks for the perspective!
(06-18-2014, 09:29 PM)TBarn291 Wrote: [ -> ]He probably just assumes it's a scam to get money back. Obviously that is not the case, but sadly that is a somewhat common practice on ebay. I don't think you'll have any option but to take the full refund, or keep the damaged card at full price. Good luck hopefully it works out for you.

This annoys the hell out of me too! While it's still a hassle, I did find something to save top loaders/One touches with the sticky tape residue.

[Image: 14452276651_a5f905e7c3_n.jpg]
I'd be too fearful of using Goo Gone on toploaders! With my luck I'd use the Goo Gone to clean it, put the card inside and then it'd get damaged somehow by Goo Gone residue that somehow managed to find it's way inside the toploader, lol. And as much as a bottle of GG costs, I could buy a lot of plastic sleeves for toploaders, haha.
I've sold and bought on eBay. I prefer to be told what the issue is and then offer my options for resolving it. I also work that way if an item comes to me damaged. Each seller is allowed to have their own means of customer service. It's a tough business, and too many shady people out there. Is it a serial numbered card? If not how does the seller know that you didn't have a damaged one already? Unfortunately there are more of those type of issues on eBay than true honest ones. Obviously we all know and respect you and agree that you are being honest. EBay is a different world.

As for the top loader. Ruin them all you want, as long as the card shows up in my hands in good condition. It's a nice bonus to get a clean and scratch free top loader, but not at all a requirement. I'm also not afraid to mail out in ones that have been taped on or may be scratched. So I apologize to anyone who was upset about the condition. I do mail in new ones a lot, if you trade with me please let me know your preference! ;-)
Pages: 1 2