Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Looking for People's opinions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been collecting wax boxes of topps from 1986 to today's 2014 wax box. I have thought about collecting other boxes and companies and not opening them as well. I had 2 2013 jumbo bowman draft picks boxes. One of them I opened the other is still sealed. I realize the joy of opening the boxes and busting the wax. But will there ever be a time when the product would be more valuable sealed then have been opened. Example I have 2 1993 sealed topps series 1 boxes that have the obvious Jeter rookie card in them. Would there be greater value opening the boxes and selling the Jeter cards, or getting a higher price from the sealed unopened wax boxes. Just looking for what people think. You have no idea how difficult it has been to resist the temptation to open up many of those boxes over the past 28 years and keep them stored away in a safe spot.
i like to break the 1993 boxes with Jeter and send the card to PSA if it looks nice. A 10 jeter is worth over $120 in certain sets. And you can break the packs and have fun. Storing wax boxes is cool but you cannot enjoy the fun.
I tried that back in the day I never could keep from opening them so kuddos for having the self control not to give in and open them after all these years. I do have sealed wax packs going back to 1982 but only a few and no duplicates. Im on the fence weather you should open them or not lol me I would open them only because I would be dyig to know what was inside but you have had them all this time and maybe its better to keep it a mystery
Kudos also on keeping the boxes sealed. My question back at you is are these boxes with packs or are they set boxes? I ask becuase unless you (not you you) are a reputable dealer or store owner, I'm not buying a set box from you. I've seen too many resealed boxes with the good cards missing.

IMO.....there is such a large supply of sealed boxes post 1978, I think prices will increase but very slowly for the Topps base cards. Premium products and some prospect years unopened, thats another story.

I'm from the grip-um & rip-um school of collecting so.........

I like to keep my factory sets sealed until a rainy day down the road when I am old and gray. then I'd either open it or sell it as is.
Open them or sell them.
I think you would prob get more for the sealed boxes than for just a Jeter topps rookie. Those are selling for under $5 and odds are you will only get 1 Jeter in each box, however there are Jeter Blank backs that are tough to find in there but you will never know. People pay a higher premium for stuff like that on the off chance that they pull something like that or even a chance at having a Jeter graded and getting a Pristine one. My guess is selling the sealed box would net you more cash.
(05-27-2014, 06:53 PM)corbin21 Wrote: [ -> ]I have been collecting wax boxes of topps from 1986 to today's 2014 wax box. I have thought about collecting other boxes and companies and not opening them as well. I had 2 2013 jumbo bowman draft picks boxes. One of them I opened the other is still sealed. I realize the joy of opening the boxes and busting the wax. But will there ever be a time when the product would be more valuable sealed then have been opened. Example I have 2 1993 sealed topps series 1 boxes that have the obvious Jeter rookie card in them. Would there be greater value opening the boxes and selling the Jeter cards, or getting a higher price from the sealed unopened wax boxes. Just looking for what people think. You have no idea how difficult it has been to resist the temptation to open up many of those boxes over the past 28 years and keep them stored away in a safe spot.
I would keep one example of each box sealed and open the rest.
I think it was last year that Beckett posted a video about someone selling a couple of unopened boxes of 86 Fleer with Michael Jordans rookie card at the National. I forget the amount he was paid, but it was a lot.

With your Topps boxes I think someone would pay extra for it to be unopened. His Topps RC's are readily available, but to be able to pull one from a pack would be special. Now if we were talking about a box with his SP rookie, that would be a whole different story
keep them sealed. if your in no hurry to open them, then why do it now. people love pristine unopened stuff and will always sell higher then opened
Pages: 1 2