Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: An Extremely Special Museum Addition from 1981-82! Penguins Fans Rejoice!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When the pieces come, I guess they come in bunches. A few days ago, I posted a beautiful 2005-06 season Reinhard Divis St. Louis Blues jersey with impeccable wear. Today, I met with a great friend in the hobby, David Martel, and I picked up the newest piece for my museum. On another fun note, I also got to analyze a 1974 Team Canada Bobby Hull sweater with him and was able to help him locate a distinctive mark that helps give credence towards its actual game use by Bobby Hull in that international tournament. So cool to look at such an amazing piece of history.

But, back to topic, first let me set the imagery for all of you.

The player to whom this jersey once belonged was named Nick Ricci. Born June 3, 1959 in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Ricci was a multiple trophy winner in the OMJHL before being drafted 94th overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1979. The season following his draft, Ricci appeared in four games, showcasing some of his talents as he recorded a 2-2 record. He spent the majority of the year with the Grand Rapids Owls of the IHL. The following season, Ricci managed to get into a further nine games with the Penguins, recording four wins in the process. In 1981-82, he appeared in three games and posted some of the weakest numbers of his career, and further declined the following season. In 1985, he finally retired from hockey. According to hockeygoalies.org, he went on to work for his family's hotel business. In his very short NHL career, Ricci appeared in 19 games, while recording a 7-12-0 record to go along with a 4.36 GAA, and a 0.857% save average. A short career for a goalie that very few have heard of.

The jersey shown to you today is an extremely difficult to find Sunday Gold home variation jersey used by the Penguins to alternate with the white home sweaters. With the Sandow tagging and the style, it is of the 81-82 design and not the 82-83 one. The wear on this sweater is minimal as could be expected from a goaltender who only appeared in three games in that season. A notable area is the nameplate of the sweater. For one it is extremely long, and secondly, the "C"s are uniquely crooked, creating an easy photomatch to the sweater in this photo.

Let's get to the pictures shall we?

Front:

[Image: riccifront_zps2fbf86a0.jpg]

Front right sleeve:

[Image: riccifrontrightsleeve_zps64feae8b.jpg]

Front left chest/shoulder:

[Image: riccifrontleftchest_zps49f7e10d.jpg]

Front left sleeve:

[Image: riccifrontleftsleeve_zps911ae499.jpg]

Old loop-style fight strap:

[Image: riccifightstrap_zpsa1a3a0d2.jpg]

Ricci facing forward while wearing this sweater:

[Image: ricci1_zpsc2bfa4e6.jpg]

Back:

[Image: riccirear_zps507439a7.jpg]

Rear right sleeve:

[Image: riccirearrightsleeve_zps4a568637.jpg]

Rear left sleeve:
[Image: riccirearleftsleeve_zpse78d7561.jpg]

And the funky nameplate with wonky "C"s:

[Image: riccinameplate_zps0d78ce0b.jpg]

And the photo of the jersey also exhibiting an excessively long nameplate and the wonky "C"s:

[Image: ricci2_zps513a1a4f.jpg]
I don't know what to say but, "WOW!" Great addition. Congratulations.
(05-17-2014, 08:03 AM)jonathani Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what to say but, "WOW!" Great addition. Congratulations.
Many thanks for the comment. It is a rather interesting piece to be sure and to find NHL game worn stuff of a 1980s and earlier player with less than 20 NHL games is always a miracle.
that is a sweet vintage jersey pick up

now dont grab all the Whaler ones before I can afford them....

congrats