Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: So, was it Pine Tar, or dirt like claimed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(04-12-2014, 10:20 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: [ -> ]we play them 19 times a year. i dealt with aaron bleeping boone and bucky bleeping dent

believe: you cant touch my yankee hatred (at least steinbrenner era through now. i dont have any special place of hate for whitey, mantle, etc)
The only yankee that I don't hate is mantle and that was ONLY because I watched his funeral on T.V.

That means I also HATE jeter, mariana riviera and all the rest (since the dawn of the yankees existence).
(04-12-2014, 08:58 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: [ -> ]Just like a yankee to cheat and then lie about it.
That was probably the most moronic thing I ever heard...ALL pitchers have tried to get the edge...even hall of famers...sandy Koufax even wrote during his latter years he had to do things to give him the edge...what about niekro with the sandpaper or in recent years the boston starter himself having sun screen on his arm...do your research and you will see...In fact the other night bob costas pointed something out on the Red Sox pitchers arm...they all do it!
(04-12-2014, 11:38 AM)yankeeempire Wrote: [ -> ]That was probably the most moronic thing I ever heard...ALL pitchers have tried to get the edge...even hall of famers...sandy Koufax even wrote during his latter years he had to do things to give him the edge...what about niekro with the sandpaper or in recent years the boston starter himself having sun screen on his arm...do your research and you will see...In fact the other night bob costas pointed something out on the Red Sox pitchers arm...they all do it!
Let's not forget Nolan Ryan scuffing the ball, at least in '86. But as someone else already mentioned, this is all a non-issue anyway.
(04-12-2014, 05:56 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: [ -> ]it was pine tar. it was blatant. and it's completely a non-issue
This, unless you are completely bias or have little baseball knowledge. I look at it no different than batters using it to grip a bat, or baserunners wearing cleats.
I was a pitcher all through school and even through 3 years of college. We used pine tar when it was cold to help grip the ball better so we didn't plunk kids with 90+ mph pitches. Everyone knew most pitchers did it and it was acceptable because they all knew WHY we did it. It wasn't to gain an edge over the hitter or any certain pitch. It was strictly so we didn't hurt anyone.

Having said that, we didn't have it out for the whole world to see. We kept it on the inside of our glove near the wrist. This is why it's such a big issue not to mention what series it was.
Pin-head wiped his hand on Buckholtz's Jerry Curl...They all use it, been using it, and no one really cares...

I think what is ruining baseball is this shift crap. It's like corporate softball... How can they have a T.V show on MLB devoted to numbers, and really determine any validity. When David Ortiz grounds out to short right field, fielded by the third baseman and throws him out at first... how is it scored? Did he ground out to the third base man, the right fielder or the second baseman? I see batting averages dropping across the league... Forget about .400, will anyone hit .340? Will coaches in the minor leagues finally start teaching these kids how to bunt? What happened to the basics?
Cheating's okay. It's cool. We'll all overlook it. Illegal is just a word. No one cares. Just don't ingest anything.
(04-13-2014, 09:15 AM)zeprock Wrote: [ -> ]Cheating's okay. It's cool. We'll all overlook it. Illegal is just a word. No one cares. Just don't ingest anything.
see, it isnt really cheating. there is some leeway in the rule book on this

as long as you arent doctoring the ball to change movement, but rather for grip, this falls into a very gray area in the rule book
(04-13-2014, 02:08 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: [ -> ]see, it isnt really cheating. there is some leeway in the rule book on this

as long as you arent doctoring the ball to change movement, but rather for grip, this falls into a very gray area in the rule book
+1
(04-12-2014, 10:20 PM)mjanooz Wrote: [ -> ]Pin-head wiped his hand on Buckholtz's Jerry Curl...They all use it, been using it, and no one really cares...

I think what is ruining baseball is this shift crap. It's like corporate softball... How can they have a T.V show on MLB devoted to numbers, and really determine any validity. When David Ortiz grounds out to short right field, fielded by the third baseman and throws him out at first... how is it scored? Did he ground out to the third base man, the right fielder or the second baseman? I see batting averages dropping across the league... Forget about .400, will anyone hit .340? Will coaches in the minor leagues finally start teaching these kids how to bunt? What happened to the basics?
I understand why teams use the shift.. i hate the use of it honestly...i have seen minor league teams already using the shift in this first week or so of the season.
Pages: 1 2 3