Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: A moral question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Let's assume you submitted a card to BGS and it received a not so great grade. Is it then ok to crack it open and sell it on ebay while stating the card is in near mint condition?
can i sleep at night?....probably yes....is it wrong?...yes... but everyone does it bro.....nature of the beast
(03-28-2014, 11:01 PM)chibearsboy Wrote: [ -> ]can i sleep at night?....probably yes....is it wrong?...yes... but everyone does it bro.....nature of the beast
Agree- however, I tend to take anyone's listing with a grain of salt...nmt raw is different than nmt graded.
Just to throw it out there...when I spend money on a card, it's gotta live up to the description, or else it shows in feedback. I've had 3 people from the bay send me "Pristine" or "Near-Mint" cards that were pieces of junk...yet they had great feedback. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.
I take sellers' opinions about as highly as a car salesmen's. People throw around grades like they have a clue... they don't. One thing about being on the PSA registry and having around 500 cards graded per year has taught me is how to actually grade a card. If you don't have magnification, superb regular lighting and a black light then you can't accurately predict a grade. I bat around .950, Ebay sellers about .100. I won't buy a card without a good scan.
One thing to consider is the BGS registry, what you may consider a bad grade may be worth more money to a member than the raw card, it just depends on what it is. I just bought a 1995 pacific Marino insert PSA 8 for $30 for example. Most would scoff at that, but it is the highest grade on the pop report. Factoring in how much aggravation it is breaking it out you should at least try to sell it graded first IMO.
#1dolphan has a point...pop report...and need. i have a bunch of lower grade cards for my Patch sets
i know these grade terrible because of the handling from patch insertion and being 100 pointers most times....its the sets.....i know this.....here is what i think and what i have done...any modern cards that grade less than 6 are upgraded someday..my extras are given away 99% of the time....the only ones i break out are the ones i regrade...vintage stays in case never to see the light of day no matter the grade...
AND
POP reports LIE...BAD...
with the case-breakouts and regrades of all cards...those #rs are SO skewed it aint funny
what is it?
To answer the question, yes, it is wrong to break out a card that is graded less then NM-Mint and present it as such on eBay when it is being sold.

I think the moral aspects of this comes when the person that breaks out the card presents it as something that it is not. We can get into why a person would break out the card etc., but that has been done on this forum before.

There will be people on these boards that say, the grader was wrong, I didn't clean the card like I should have, etc. But for "full disclosure" on the item, they should say that it was graded and what that grade was when they sell.
I think it depends on your opinion of what the not so great grade is. Are you talking a BGS 8 or 8.5?
My opinion is that if you sent in the card to be resold as a graded card and it scored lower then expected. To me this is a bit immoral to break it out and try and sell it as a card graded by yourself with a higher grade then a grading company. I know I couldnt do that. But it is done, Depends on how you feel about the personal karma I guess.
On a side note:
I dont grade any cards really. As in sending them in. I like to collect cards, but to me to have a great card in my collection is fine just in the fresh out of pack state. I do understand why collectors do have the're cards graded and slabbed though. Preserve the card and all. To me though, it just cost's to much. Maybe its because I like low end product just as much as the high end. And the money in a lot of cases doesnt increase the cards worth, unless its prestine. We have all seen the add with Barry Sanders, the raw card worth $40 the prestine worth $1000 or something. Well take that with a grain of salt.
~cheerz~
Fx
Pages: 1 2 3