Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Does this urk anyone else?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Was looking at the gallery for 14 Tribute that was just posted and i knew McGwire was signing autos for Topps again, but i also saw Jose Canseco.

I'm a bit upset that topps is putting out autos of know PED'ers. makes me not want to bust wax.
This is the church of baseball, a game played by some of the biggest scoundrels and thieves out there. They are not your role models, they've cut corners in numerous ways for decades and decades to get an edge up on their competition. Thousands of kids grew up watching the Bash Brothers, and we still remember that we enjoyed those times. Newfound knowledge of past transgressions by players does not change the pleasure of the past. Who does not remember getting all jacked up for McGwire and Sosa? Baseball looked the other way on steroids since the 70's. They weren't banned and aren't bad like "Lyle Alzado style" anabolic steroids. If North Dakota boy Roger Maris' Home Run record wasn't broken North Dakota Senator Byron Dorgan wouldn't have been pissed and wouldn't have seeked help from John McCain in getting all wrapped in the middle of MLB's business and they would still be letting guys use many of these things. MLB uses the Olympic banned substance list, NBA and NFL allow many things that baseball players used to use, so where do you draw this magical ethical line in the old dirt infield? And where were you when all the guys who have tested positive since the substances were banned are still in cards? Aren't players who have used SINCE they were banned guilty of doing something worse than those who used before? Babe Ruth had sex with junior high aged girls, Ty Cobb was a downright piece of *****, Mickey Mantle was hopped up on Greenie amphetamines and painkillers, Rickey Henderson is in the Hall and used PED's, likely Cal Ripken Jr. and more... Get over it, the games we enjoyed watching and the players we liked watching, we still like collecting. It was a huge part of an entire era. How many guys STILL get caught? More than get caught are using and getting away with it based on ease of faking piss tests, so do the math on how many more people used when it wasn't even an issue. It is what it is, there are two types of fans, those who love the game for the love of the game, and those who think this has somehow altered the space time continuum and they now don't like what they once liked.

Alternate response:
No, I'm cool with it.
Seems like you are a David Freese fan.. Who had been arrested four times for DWI over a 3 year span. Seems like that should urk you a little more.
Yea, I wouldn't mind buying a Canseco or McGwire auto. I wouldn't be too happy if I paid top dollar for some wax and that's who I pulled though. Not because they cheated, but because the value of their auto's most likely won't be too high. I would definitely buy them off of eBay.

One of my favorite baseball memories was the McGwire/Sosa HR chase. That was exciting stuff! So they used some drugs to get stronger, well technically they cheated, but.....well yea they cheated Smile

You know what they didn't cheat though? MLB's wallets, or their own.
makes me more upset that not only that but they are the only licensed product.

soooo dopers get licensed... other more legit, cooler stuff? no dice.

annoying.
(02-19-2014, 11:23 PM)RedSoxNationMT Wrote: [ -> ]This is the church of baseball, a game played by some of the biggest scoundrels and thieves out there. They are not your role models, they've cut corners in numerous ways for decades and decades to get an edge up on their competition. Thousands of kids grew up watching the Bash Brothers, and we still remember that we enjoyed those times. Newfound knowledge of past transgressions by players does not change the pleasure of the past. Who does not remember getting all jacked up for McGwire and Sosa? Baseball looked the other way on steroids since the 70's. They weren't banned and aren't bad like "Lyle Alzado style" anabolic steroids. If North Dakota boy Roger Maris' Home Run record wasn't broken North Dakota Senator Byron Dorgan wouldn't have been pissed and wouldn't have seeked help from John McCain in getting all wrapped in the middle of MLB's business and they would still be letting guys use many of these things. MLB uses the Olympic banned substance list, NBA and NFL allow many things that baseball players used to use, so where do you draw this magical ethical line in the old dirt infield? And where were you when all the guys who have tested positive since the substances were banned are still in cards? Aren't players who have used SINCE they were banned guilty of doing something worse than those who used before? Babe Ruth had sex with junior high aged girls, Ty Cobb was a downright piece of *****, Mickey Mantle was hopped up on Greenie amphetamines and painkillers, Rickey Henderson is in the Hall and used PED's, likely Cal Ripken Jr. and more... Get over it, the games we enjoyed watching and the players we liked watching, we still like collecting. It was a huge part of an entire era. How many guys STILL get caught? More than get caught are using and getting away with it based on ease of faking piss tests, so do the math on how many more people used when it wasn't even an issue. It is what it is, there are two types of fans, those who love the game for the love of the game, and those who think this has somehow altered the space time continuum and they now don't like what they once liked.

Alternate response:
No, I'm cool with it.

I just enjoyed reading this line so much:

"MLB uses the Olympic banned substance list, NBA and NFL allow many things that baseball players used to use, so where do you draw this magical ethical line in the old dirt infield?"

Its like, why should baseball be held to a higher standard and the other big sports not. Whatever happened to football players playing all drugged up to ease the pain of their injuries so they could continue to gain yardage and touchdowns. Then again, how about those sitting on the sidelines breathing in oxygen after a good run? I know oxygen is not considered a PED but if you look it at from a different perspective, it does serve the purpose as a PED for that specific moment.
(02-19-2014, 11:40 PM)SGC300ier Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't be too happy if I paid top dollar for some wax and that's who I pulled though.
I'd be thrilled with either, especially mcgwire. Beats the hell out of a scott diamond or yasmani grandal auto.

I have no problem with any of the 90's PED users. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense knew what was going on. McGwire had androstenedione on top of his locker for everyone and their mother to see for god's sake. Baseball sure as hell wasn't complaining when these guys were resurrecting the sport post-strike, and now they want to villainize them? Ridiculous.

I'd rather have either of those guys than Braun or Cruz as well for that matter...
(02-20-2014, 12:03 AM)petillo64 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd be thrilled with either, especially mcgwire. Beats the hell out of a scott diamond or yasmani grandal auto.

I have no problem with any of the 90's PED users. Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense knew what was going on. McGwire had androstenedione on top of his locker for everyone and their mother to see for god's sake. Baseball sure as hell wasn't complaining when these guys were resurrecting the sport post-strike, and now they want to villainize them? Ridiculous.

I'd rather have either of those guys than Braun or Cruz as well for that matter...
Scott Diamond or Yasmani Grandal lol! Touche'.

MLB got the pressure from the Government, which is nuts to me, but that's the only reason they're doing what they're doing. When they were bringing in cash because of what these players were doing they didn't mind at all.

Here's my beef. Doesn't the U.S. Government have something better to do than worry about what's happening in a sport??

(02-19-2014, 11:27 PM)cardsfan73 Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like you are a David Freese fan.. Who had been arrested four times for DWI over a 3 year span. Seems like that should urk you a little more.
he plays a clean game, thats all i care about.

(02-19-2014, 11:40 PM)SGC300ier Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't be too happy if I paid top dollar for some wax and that's who I pulled though. Not because they cheated, but because the value of their auto's most likely won't be too high.
thats exactly my point.
(02-19-2014, 11:23 PM)RedSoxNationMT Wrote: [ -> ]Who does not remember getting all jacked up for McGwire and Sosa?
I remember it and I didn't get all jazzed up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4