Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Eli and Giants fake Game Used Jerseys/Equip. (how many on cards I wonder?)!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1553887.html

however: none probably went into cards. these items were going to high end collectors, not companies
(01-31-2014, 09:12 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1553887.html

however: none probably went into cards. these items were going to high end collectors, not companies
Where do you think the companies are getting theirs?

Never mind, we all know the companies get all their jerseys via the always popular "Event-worn" route.

(02-01-2014, 09:13 AM)pacrimcollectibles Wrote: [ -> ]Where do you think the companies are getting theirs?

Never mind, we all know the companies get all their jerseys via the always popular "Event-worn" route.
there are three different routes:

obviously, with rookies, they have to do event worn, because they havennt played in gmes yet
for current players, they get them from the team. the items in this article are a bit different - eli's helmet from a superbowl, special plaays or games...those have never ended up in cards. why would a company pay say, 20k for a "special" helmet compare to say, 500 for a game used helmet? it wouldnt make sense

retired players...now that is a whole different ball of wax. the authenticity of retired players from earlier sets is probably good (2002 at the latest, back to 1997-ish). anything later than that you are dealing in Operation Curveball stuff. demand was far greater than supply, and when that happens, the sharks come in

an example: in 1995, a jackie robinson game used jersey sold for 400k, to a collector. in 1999, another JR jersey sold for close to 900k, and i believe topps bought that one, and has been the source for all their game used jackie robinson jersey stuff (they also bought some pants, which were cheaper)

however, now jackie robinson game used unis are very hard to find. i had a client, who basically owned museum stuff, including...well, just about everything. but one of the items was a game used jackie robinson uniform from his rookie year, given to him by robinson's wife. my appraisal value on that item was over 1.5 million, and that was 2-3 years ago.

the fact is, that kind of stuff gets too expensive for card companies to buy at some point (which is why you see less retired stuff, and when you do, it's shoes, pants, helmets, etc)