Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Book value question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know that there are a lot of cards in the online guide that show N/A book value. But most of those are /25 or lower. This one is not. Does someone know why this card could be lacking BV? I know is probably pretty cheap, but not knowing bugs me.

[Image: zqee.jpg]
[Image: qn09.jpg]

Also, as long as we are talking book value. I always wonder about plates. I feel like the few times I got one I ended up paying too much. But their value is so relative, being 1/1 and not regular cards. So I was wondering if any of you has a (tacit?) value rule for them. Minor players no more than X. Semi stars between X and X. Superstars X. Well you get my point.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I think a lot of times, there just isn't enough relevant market data for a book value to be determined. Maybe that is the case here?

I have a bunch of plates for my various player PCs and I always go by auction values. With the flood of plates from NT it was kind of easy to determine an average sale price for a lot of players. I usually won't go higher than $15 over average sale price for Tristan Thompson plates and his usually sell on average for about $10.
Nice auto!
It's really hard to price plates. NT plates seem to be easy to come by with 30+ per player at times...but looking at the late 90's plates, much harder to come by. And for value...you see it maybe once on auction, what a player collector is willing to pay, then never again for pricing. Some will not be sold at $10, while other "common" players I've seen collectors fight up over $100 per plate. Just depends on how many hardcore player collectors are fighting over it at that time.
I own two plates. I paid $5 for one at a show and one was a throw-in from a friend of mine. With that being said, I wouldn't go more than $10 for a plate because I don't really hold them in high regard.
Like everything, it depends ... A few months ago I sold a Josh Hamilton black plate out of a loose retail pack of 2011 Opening Day baseball for about 50 bucks ... used the proceeds to buy a Geno Smith Prestige auto ... then traded it on here for a Russell Wilson auto.

So point being, just depends who it is, who's looking for it at a specific time, etc.

Also, I don't know if this matters to anyone else, but I like the black plates more than the color plates, because the blacks are usually the ones where you can see the photo and read the text the best.

Yellow plates? Crap.
(01-28-2014, 01:06 PM)odditycards Wrote: [ -> ]Nice auto!
It's really hard to price plates. NT plates seem to be easy to come by with 30+ per player at times...but looking at the late 90's plates, much harder to come by. And for value...you see it maybe once on auction, what a player collector is willing to pay, then never again for pricing. Some will not be sold at $10, while other "common" players I've seen collectors fight up over $100 per plate. Just depends on how many hardcore player collectors are fighting over it at that time.
How about 2000s Topps plates. Are they also harder to come by or not so much?
(01-28-2014, 11:59 AM)TBarn291 Wrote: [ -> ]With the flood of plates from NT it was kind of easy to determine an average sale price for a lot of players. I usually won't go higher than $15 over average sale price for Tristan Thompson plates and his usually sell on average for about $10.
I was so excited when I saw NT was going to have plates. But then they over did it.