Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Damage from humidity (caused by flooding) for insurance claims?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So some idiot in the apartment above set off a small fire. The massive amount of water the fire department used to put it out trickled down and flooded my place. Everyone is alright, including the pets. My cards escaped any water damage, but now I'm wondering about humidity and temperature extremes (lost power on coldest day of year). Could these affect my raw cards enough over a few days time to impact grades? I grade cards a lot. I don't have many auto cards to be concerned about signatures being affected, although I do have a team signed hockey stick. Are these things that could be brought up in an insurance claim? I've never had to make a renters insurance claim for personal property before.
I'm really sorry to hear about your crummy neighbor and your collection Sad

I have often wondered though... If there was a fire/theft/natural accident would insurance cover my cards and if so could I claim them at book value?
It all comes down to your insurance company and if they will cover collectables in the policy. I know mine does (I'm with NRMA Australia) and only have home and contents insurance, but all of my cards are covered.
In New Zealand you would have to have declared the cards specifically on your insurance if you were wanting to make a claim of over $1000.

I would imagine there would need to be similar declarations in any insurance regardless of country. So, I guess it would depend on the size of the claim you were making.

I would also think it would be hard to determine minor changes in grade for a raw card and hence changes in value. If a card is completely wrecked it would be easy to determine lost value but how do you establish what condition a card was previously in if it has only dropped slightly in condition due to temperature/humidity changes?
(01-23-2014, 02:36 AM)dodgydave Wrote: [ -> ]In New Zealand you would have to have declared the cards specifically on your insurance if you were wanting to make a claim of over $1000.

I would imagine there would need to be similar declarations in any insurance regardless of country. So, I guess it would depend on the size of the claim you were making.

I would also think it would be hard to determine minor changes in grade for a raw card and hence changes in value. If a card is completely wrecked it would be easy to determine lost value but how do you establish what condition a card was previously in if it has only dropped slightly in condition due to temperature/humidity changes?
Yea, from quick talk with my insurance agent, it sounds like this would be categorized as collectibles rather then regular personal property. there is a cap of some sort on how much they'll pay for collectibles. he also said they would then take possession of anything claimed damaged, I think. So even if it was only damaged a little bit, I guess it's still damaged so they could give you money for it but also would take it away. I'm still learning more.

i'm assuming the BGS slabs are air tight and protect from humidity, for items already graded.

btw, could a moderator please move this thread to the BGS forum? thanks!
From what my insurance company has told me, is that I would have to carry separate insurance on collectibles and have the collection appraised. That was over 10 years ago though, so things may have changed or more than likely depends on the insurance company. If you're with Nationwide, good luck.
I use http://www.collectinsure.com/ for my collectible which includes toys, card, and autographs.