Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Team USA announced!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yesterday after the Winter Classic, Team USA was announced:

Forwards:

David Backes
Dustin Brown
Ryan Callahan
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kesler
Phil Kessel
T.J. Oshie
Max Pacioretty
Zach Parise
Joe Pavelski
Paul Stastny
Derek Stepan
James van Riemsdyk
Blake Wheeler

Defenseman:

John Carlson
Justin Faulk
Cam Fowler
Paul Martin
Ryan McDonagh
Brooks Orpik
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ryan Suter

Goalies:

Jimmy Howard
Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick

Some big surprises in my opinion. No Bobby Ryan? No Erik Johnson? No Big Buff? No Yandle? Okposo is having an amazing year. Quick just coming off injury....Bishop and Schneider have actually played better than Howard for the most part.

The D is real young after Martin, Orpik and Suter. That kind of scares me, but I do love the Shattenkirk decision and everyday regret Colorado trading him more and more.

What's your opinion on the USA roster? If a goalie can play on his head like Miller in 2010, maybe another silver is not out of the question. Just not sure I see it here though....
Ryan, E. Johnson, J. Johnson, Buff, Yandle = slow

bigger ice surface, I think USA was going with speed

I don't think USA was picking their team based off of NHL performances only - which I why I think Howard got the nod over Bishop and Schneider. Howard's body of work is much more complete than both of those guys put together. Plus, I bet it's really between Quick and Miller anyway, so I don't think Howard will get much playing time
Bobby Ryan not on the roster is a surprise
Two mistakes in my opinion, Bobby Ryan and Keith Yandle.

Ryan may not be the best two-way player in the game, but he's a playmaker with upside and the US team lacks that in comparison to Russia, Canada, and potentially a couple others. It's a big ice surface and while speed is a necessity, so is playmaking. I'd probably prefer Ryan to Blake Wheeler and maybe a couple others.

The knock I've seen against Yandle is that he's not the best defender. They didn't take Jack Johnson or Erik Johnson who are both better defenders than just about the entire list of defensemen. Factor in that Yandle is a better puck-mover than most on the list and it becomes a real head-scratcher to me. I guess until you realize that Byslma and Shero were both in the room to name Orpik and Martin to the team as the 'shut-down' defensive pair... Really? That's the best the US can come up with...

I guess when Brian Burke's your director of player personnel, this is the best we can do... I now understand Leafs fans pain for those years and now that of Flames fans...

I don't think this team is as good as the 2010 team in Vancouver.